Chapter 6

Ganon

Zelda and Epona seemed to hit it off immediately, to his dismay. Unlike Zelda, who seemed to require something to preoccupy herself, he was fine with silence. Ganon was overly aware of his surroundings as he felt on edge. The two ladies had been giggling, whispering, and holding conversation nonstop for the past few days. Their voices were beginning to irritate him.

“Ganon, what do you think?” chimed Epona playfully. He grunted in response. He wasn’t going to entertain them.

Epona, he thought, was an incredibly strange name. One particular memory he has of Epona, as a horse, is when the Ocarina of Time was an important piece to his defeat. In the end, Link was sent back to undo the mistakes him and Zelda had accidentally created, but those memories were used in the next lifetime. Epona was the stead promised to him by Ingo, a shady farm owner. Instead, she had been taken, and Ganon received the other horse. When Ganon was given the other horse, he intimidated Ingo into giving the farm back to the larger man; Ingo’s negligence of the horses and Malon was beginning to result in the horses detesting Ingo.

Ingo hadn’t deserved his own farm, he thought. Glancing at Epona, Ganon found the resemblances tied to her throughout lifetimes. Red; a deep crimson red was her signature color throughout her lifetimes. It just so happened that this time her hair was a blood red with silver strands. In the sun, the silver strands made her hair shimmer exactly like a flowing red river.

In the past lives, she served an important position beside Link; she always helped him reach the end. Now, he wondered what her role would be. Epona was always tied to Link; Ganon didn’t think it was the triforce of courage that created that connection. He wondered if Zelda was aware of the role Epona played in Link’s adventures.

The way they got along, one would think that Zelda and Epona had been childhood friends. Ganon continued to contemplate the relationships as they traveled. What more could be changed in this lifetime?

“Ganon,” Zelda said too sweetly. He looked at her coldly, letting her know she was being acknowledged.

“Would you calm down and at least try to talk with us?” she asked as she leaned closer. Ganon leaned away from her.

“We want to hear your opinion too,” Epona added with a mischievous smile. Ganon looked between the two with an expression of bewilderment. Had Zelda already forgotten that he said he would kill her if the triforce pieces were not influencing them?

“About what?” he asked after a few moments.

“Well, it’s not really an opinion, but what about­–“

Epona was cut off as her horse reared. Yelling in surprise, Epona franctically tried to find the source of her horse’s terror as it hopped from hoof to hoof anxiously. The horses guiding the wagon stopped as well, refusing to take another step forward.

Epona, Zelda and Ganon stared ahead into the dark forest they were about to enter. Unlike the forest where Zelda and Ganon had dwelled, this one was ominous and felt heavy. Although the sun was shining, the forest ground was dark as night. The horses stopped them before they stepped into the shadow of the wood.

They had left Almeia using the East gate. Their destination was the river in the middle of the wood. However, what lay before them, the dark wood, was a remnant of the Lost Woods. Here, they expected to encounter the children of the Lost Woods, Kokiri.

Ganon climbed off of the carriage and stepped closer to the woods. The horses let out snorts and whinnies of protest as he stepped into the shadow. “Ganon,” said a male’s voice coming from deeper in the woods. Ganon drew his sword as a precaution.