Old Version

A/N:
If you are interested in reading the old version, here it is. There was no planning and i came up with it on the spot. I've took a lot of the main elements but adjusted them so they actually made sense. This will probably be archived once i'm up to speed. I guess, this can be a comparison. It's also up because  i know lots of people liked the original and may not like what i rewrite!
This was the first fic I properly wrote and I've come so far since then.

HULL, ENGLAND. A DAUNTING place still recovering from its industrialisation. Martha Rose Harper had a life full of misery. From the loss of her parents on the titanic to being an orphan in New York City her past was a roller coaster. Finally she was back, back in her home country after escaping that wretched prison. Martha was strong and independent, something both her parents hoped she would be; their death really spiked this...

Toxic air filled her lungs slowly but surely as she breathed in and out taking in her surroundings. Where her grand home once stood there was now a warehouse, filling the atmosphere with ashy clouds and poisonous substances. While underpaid and overworked civilians slumped passed her, she could tell something was up. War had changed the people, the city, the country.

Hull was the one in charge of importing Fish and sea creatures. A very dangerous task as they faced the wicked waves and the freezing frost from the polar ice sheets. Trawler after trawler, man after man, sunk to the bottom of the dreary oceans. Leaving a permanent dent to the world, the country, the city and their families. These people where left helpless, hopeless and hateful.

Martha no longer belonged there, and to be honest she never really did; her family being one of the middle class in an ocean of the working. Her light blue clothing stood out amongst the trails of faded whites and the basic tones; browns, blacks and greys, they really sucked the life out of the city.

Heart sunken deep, Martha missed the feeling of euphoria she once experienced in this area. Sighing softly she turned her head away trying to cover her sorrow but something didn't feel right... Like she'd been watched, an uneasy feeling in her stomach started to eat her from the inside out, that's when she began to manoeuvre through the crowd.

Coal and dirt suffocated her lungs as she moved deeper into the city, unknowingly leading her self into deaths grips. Vicious, vulgar and vile; they were only a few words that described what Hull had become...  Disease lurked around every corner of these tiny alleys, waiting to pounce on the next living organism. Martha didn't let this bother her too much, she knew things would have changed...

Arriving at the train station she reminisced about her fathers last words.

~Flashback, April 14th 1912~

As panic started to set in on the titanic, Martha's father new his fate. Calmly pulling her to the side, he kneeled down beside her.
"Martha... this is hard to say, however I know out of you all; you'll do it." He spoke gently.
This confused Martha, greatly. Glancing over at the boats she saw both her brother and sister being thrown in the life boat. Snapping her attention quickly back to her Father. He cupped her face, kneeling beside her.
"If the worse happens I need you to promise me something." He began...
"Of course Father, What is it?" She pondered curiously.
"Promise me you'll-".

The sound of a whistle blowing snapped her back to reality as the puffing train pulled up beside her, as she entered she sat on a seat by the window fiddling with her small bag of belongings.

Finally arriving in Birmingham gave Martha slight relief, a fresh start in the country she once loved. Stepping off the train instantly made her beam with joy, something she hadn't been able to accomplish in years. Gracefully striding down the platform she wondered what her few family members are like now. Finally back in contact with them her cousin, Elizabeth, and her Auntie, Ruth, invited her to live with them after finding out she was still alive. Not seeing them or hearing from them since they waved Martha and her family off when they set sail on the Titanic, Their last voyage as a family.