IX.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ

ꜰᴏᴜʀ ꜰᴏʀ ᴀ ʙᴏʏ

   TO SAY THAT the week following was long was an understatement. However, nobody had spoke of the incident. They offered no pity and proceeded like they couldn't see the yellowing that had formed around her eye. Things were normal. It was strange to have things go her way but she was not going to complain. In fact, everything was starting to look up. At work, there was a new barmaid. Both pretty and good at her job, though she seemed rather timid around Martha. It helped relieved some of her stress at the Garrison which was a luxury. Even Harry seemed to be smiling more, how had he got so lucky with his employment? The two hadn't spoke much, a transfer of names and talks of jobs to do around the place. Martha preferred it that way. She wouldn't need another emotional bond severed when she finally left this place. Her name was Grace. Everything about Grace oozed of what Martha was supposed to have been. Yet here they both were, scrubbing the spit and smoke out of the moulding wooden floors. So maybe in another life, where she stayed with her parents to adulthood, she was doomed to the same outcome. This was how she was supposed to live. Just more happy, more loved.

   At current, she was enjoying a spot of tea in Polly's company. An invitation to her place had been extended many of days and nights since the accident so the blonde believed that Polly had been ordered to watch after her or she'd taken her own initiative on the matter, probably the latter. But after pulling herself out of her depressive episode, she was glad to have the company so she wouldn't have to dwell in the silence. In fact, Polly had been keen on showing her around and getting the girl to do odd jobs much to her cousins' dismays.

"Good of you to join us." Polly spoke as she looked from her news paper to where the sound of approaching footsteps appeared from. "Where have you been all day?" The tension between the two was immense. Ada had been disappearing at a higher rate then Martha which was concerning as that girl loved to been the attention in any room.

   "In bed." She replied, bluntly. "Couldn't sleep. Then I couldn't wake up. Then I was cold and then I had to go for a wee." Ada continued, cutting herself some bread as Martha watched Polly's stone-like facade as she pretended to read the newspaper. That was of interest to the woman, Ada was the news. "Then I was with this bear on a boat, but that was just a dream. Then I was hungry." She added, taking a seat between them and she offered the blonde a small smile. "Why are you reading the paper?" Ada had asked what Martha was thinking but hadn't dared to earlier that morning.

   "Why wouldn't I be?" Polly retorted.

   "I've never seen you read the paper. I've only seen you light fires with them."

  "The BSA are on strike. The miners are on strike."Polly started, placing down the newspaper and exchanging it for her teacup as she spoke to the both of them. "IRA are killing our boys, ten a day." To which Martha had a lot to say but but her tongue as Polly had fallen silent, staring at Ada.

   "What?" Ada asked, just trying to eat her bread and jam.

   "Stand up." Polly demanded the Shelby.

   "Why?"

   "Just stand up."

   The pair got up, both girls confused to what was happening.

   "Side on." Polly said before grasping at Ada's breast. There was slight commotion as Ada batted her Aunt away but Polly already knew, her face growing with concern. But Martha knew too, a technique they'd used at the commune to detect pregnancy.