VI.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx
ʀᴇᴅ ᴘᴏᴡᴅᴇʀ

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

    A FEW DAYS had passed since the party and their had been an air of normality that hung through Small Heath. Since the party, Thomas had seemed to have taken her words to heart. How long had it been since the average person had spoken to him so boldly? It had definitely knocked his cold demeanour, allowing the cracks in the ice to glisten when they passed one another. He didn't blank her, though. In fact, he seemed more open to casual conversation. They exchange their hello's and he had gone as far to ask her how her shift was going as she passed him a bottle of rum. It felt so unnatural, almost giving her the shivers. Thomas wasn't exactly suited to the casual act he seemed to have thrown on. It was interesting to say the least.

Pulling up to the little tailors shop, there was a group of women skulking around the dress section as they kept the voice low. She could feel the tight tension in the room as a man stood at the front desk. Arthur leaned impatiently, tapping his hand against the wood.

"You alright, Arthur?" She asked, pulling out her keys for her flat. The woman didn't exactly like the back entrance, it always smelt putrid down the alley in a way that hovered in your nose for days.

"No." He looked to the woman before his eyes darted to the back room. "I've waiting twenty bloody minutes! The shop will be a fucking riot when I get."

"If you wasn't so insistent on keeping this old rag then you could've left fifteen minutes ago!" Julia called as she entered the front of the shop before throwing the cap in her hand on the table. "How's it fit?" She asked as he placed it back on his head, his mood immediately perking up.

"Thanks, love." He placed some money on the counter as he left, tugging his coat up so he looked like royalty amongst the Birmingham peasants.

"Is Julia Smith blushing?" Martha teased with a wide smile on her face.

"He's got a way with words." She replied, playing the word 'love' over and over again in her head.

"Yeah," Martha tried not to laugh after hearing his outrage moments prior. "A real bloody Shakespeare that man." It earned her a slap on the arm but the blonde was amused nonetheless.

"You know what I mean!" She huffed, packing away her needle and thread.

"Are sure it's not just the ruggedness, you always had a thing for people that needed gluing back together." Martha stated, causing her best friend to throw an arm around her.

"When I need a life analysis, I'll let you know." Julia pulled a sarcastic smile onto her lips before the pair laughed. They talked a while longer until a customer wanted a fitting which allowed Martha to slip upstairs and change. Ada had asked her to go to the pictures with her and the woman agreed. It must have been terribly lonely for her, especially now Elizabeth was working up in Birmingham centre. Being a Shelby had its downfall, everyone was too scared to be your friend.

The clouds had crowded over the small streets she walked down, the gloominess hanging over the city like it did most day. Women and children flustered the street, keeping the lively atmosphere going as the men packed into the factories near by. Panic had started to inflict amongst the people as Martha heard the harsh trotting of hooves against the cold cobblestones. Before she could turn to see who it was a kind woman had snagged the girl down a small alley. Both woman hid behind stacks of barrels as the trotting moved closer to them, launching small soot piles into the air with every step. Martha was curious to see who had caused such a ruckus, she positioned herself to peer over the barrels hoping she blended in amongst the exhausted women. Deadly silence spread across the street as she saw two locals rounding the corner in such a hurry, Martha could only see the tip of the black beauty. Hoping the rider would take one step closer. There were only a few guesses to who it could be, no one ever rendered such fear in these streets besides the Peaky Blinders - not even coppers.