VII.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ
ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʀ ʜɪᴛ

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

TODAY THE GARRISON was rather quiet, she'd taken the day shift whilst the regulars worked leaving only the fair few scattered about the pub including Freddie and some other men she recognised from the gathering. In the middle of scrubbing the bar, the doors swung open as Thomas stepped inside. Taking off his cap, he placed it in front of her which caused her to stop cleaning. He'd done it on purpose to get her attention. Looking up, she met his firm gaze. The man looked like he wanted to ask her another question.

   "Whiskey," He spoke and she dropped the rag on the bar, waiting. Placing a cigarette between his lips and lighting it, he raised a brow at her when she didn't move. "Please." The man added, causing her to move with a curt nod. As she filled up his glass, she watched Freddie move towards the bar and joining Thomas by his side. Taking the money that Thomas had placed down, he slid it to Martha and she took his glass to refill it.

   "One of my Union comrades has a sister who works in the telegraph office at the BSA factory." The man spoke as Martha intently listened as she poured the ale. "She says, over the past week they've had messages coming up from London to the brass, from Winston Churchill himself." He spoke as Martha placed down the glass for him and collected the money. "Something about a robbery. A robbery of national significance, it said. She found a list of names left of the telegraph machine. And on that list was your name and my name together." This was what he was talking about earlier and she wondered what was robbed. Maybe her name being on the list could be quite the hindrance to her plans."What kind of list would have the name of a communist and the name of a bookmaker side by side."

   "Perhaps it's a list of men who give false hope to the poor." Tommy's deep voice rung out "The only difference between you and me, Freddie, is that sometimes my horses stand a chance of winning." He added in a snarky tone, this caused Freddie to look to Martha that was hovering about.

   "You know, there are days when I hear about the cuttings and beatings that I really wish I'd let you take that bullet in France." Freddie added, Tommy had a little chuckle at Freddie's statement.

   "Believe me, there are nights I wish you had." He added, never relating to a statement before. It had caused her to stop before she rounded the bar to carry on cleaning.

   But stepping towards the door, it swung open. Danny had burst in, under another episode. On instinct, she grabbed the erratic man much to the warnings not to as she hummed the same tune she did before. She watched as his breathing got harsher as he fell to the floor. Unfortunately she couldn't support his weight so she crouched beside him, placing the rag on the table. She held both his hands in his as she waited for him to comeback around. It wasn't as bad as his last episode, that was for sure. Martha felt awful, she truly wanted to help the poor man but she knew these would only get worse. Next time, she wouldn't be around to help him.

   "Ah! Hell!" Danny panted, gaining consciousness to his surrounding once more. "Did I do it again?" He asked to which she nodded, smiling sadly down at him. The shell of a man.

   "Mr Shelby you'll have to do something about him," Harry said, tying the apron around himself as his shift was about to start. She was busy helping the man up to sit in the chair so he could stable himself.

   "Your damn right Harry. You pay the Peaky Blinders a lot of money for protection. You're the law around here now, Tommy, aren't ye?" Freddie pitches in. "Maybe you should put a bullet through Danny Wizz-Bangs head like they do with mad 'orses." He said as he leaned on the bar, earning a glare from Martha.. "Maybe you'll have to put a bullet in my 'ead someday, too." With that Tommy threw on his cap.