Heal Thee Names

"Get out."

"Get out."

"GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT. GET OUT."

"Get... out."

The sound of her own voice disappears and her eyes shoot open. Adrenaline rushes through her veins as the sight of a ghost king, ten abominable snowmen, and a half-melted ghost comes into view before her. She struggles to breathe as her lungs will with some sort of overcooked gelatin floods her system.

The twelve ghosts look at her. Nine of the snowmen walk out of what seems to be a cave to the command of one snowman with a popsicle for a hand and a blue cape. That same snowman walks up to the struggling mage. She floats as far away as the tube lets her, but at the press of a button, she's flat on the floor and growling up at the three remaining ghosts.

"Spirit Mage! You awake!" The fur beast greets. The witch's neck snaps to the yeti, ready to demand answers. At the opening of her mouth, she swiftly closes it as a spell of nausea plagues her. "My apologies, Spirit Mage. It seems I took you out of the healing chamber before you were ready. Would you like more time to rest?" Despite his polite tone and help of her getting back on her feet, the mage still struggles to trust.

"No thank you. I think I just need some green or chai tea." She smiles weakly as the beast helps her to a nearby straw-made chair.

The creature nods his understanding. "Good choice, Spirit Mage, you certainly know your healing. Diastra shall take all your request." The messed-up-looking politician grumbles at the snowman's orders but obeys, earning a look of sympathy from the king.

Quickly his majesty's attention focuses back on the mage at hand. "I apologize for bringing you here, but it was all I could think of to repay your help in defeating Undergrowth." He takes a knee to further show his appreciation but the witch does nothing to acknowledge it, instead, she focuses on the situation at hand.

"I have a few questions. Starting with, has the portal been closed? And has Undergrowth been recaptured?" Her tone is monotone but worry sneaks in. Undergrowth was a powerful ghost, even with his weakened state it won't be long till he comes back.

"Sadly no. My best soldiers are currently doing their best to find him. Likewise, with the portal." He assures her, but it only furthers her worry.

"I can close the portal after I get some more energy. As for Undergrowth," her words get cut off by the phantom.

"You have no need to worry. I can handle him once I'm notified about his location. But as of right now, I suggest you rest and put on some warmer clothes. If you wish, you can rest in my castle while you do so." His voice wavers at the suggestion. Her eyes glare at the king, but she quickly sighs and releases her anger.

"I think I'm more interested in finding my daughter. No offense, but I don't want her anywhere near that ghost." The last word spits off her tongue as she struggles to stand. She hadn't realized just how much mixing spells took out of her.

Almost on point, the phantom holds her back, settling her back into the chair. "Kit is already here, she's with Hailstorm. We found her in a back alley by Fenton Works." His brows furrow as if the bit of information finally clicked. He opens his mouth to say more but ends up being interrupted.

"So she got there safely," the witch releases a sigh and visibly relaxes, allowing her shoulders to slump, "Though I'm not so sure how I feel about her being around someone named Hailstorm." A chuckle then a laugh sounds from her chest.

A smile grows on the phantom as he continues the joke, "I think you would disagree if you knew the one healing you is called Frostbite." He thumbs to the beast who had left them to talk to a fellow medic.

The laughter settles down to polite yet awkward silence. "Speaking of names," the phantom interrupts, "I don't believe I ever got yours." The witch stares at the nervous wreck of a king. If she wasn't so aware that she was in his realm she would've made him the punchline, but a lass.

"Names are important to witches. The only people who know my true name are those that I am employed to." Her voice goes monotone, a rigidness added to it.

The ghost nods his understanding, then holds out his hand. "Maybe I could employ you then." Despite his now statue cold tone, the Spirit witch is left raising a brow of suspicion. His hand gets slapped away and for a moment he gazes at it, only to have the witch disappear from view when he looks back. "Witch?"

"Give me a sec. I just need...." Her words end as she searches through a tan messenger bag that just happens to look exactly like hers on the other side of the cave. A grin flashes across her face as she finds what she's been looking for. A small black hard covered book with the image of a lotus rests in her hand. "My grimoire." Her eyes flash dangerously to the ghost now standing behind her.

His hands fly up in surrender. "And what do you need that for?" Despite his position, he still asks.

"Just thinking about casting a truth spell. Or a protection spell. Or heck, maybe even a hex if I feel like it, I'm sure there's one in here. I mean.... Why would a ghost ever hire a witch?" Her eyes go dark as she holds the book close to her. A pained expression flashed across her lips and a small cuss flies out.

The king's hands drop as he approaches being sure to keep his distance. "I want to hire you for what I originally went to you for. No hesitation." He removes the black skull ring from his finger and holds it out in front of her. This time, the witch hesitates, but she still takes it.

"Fine," the word comes out deflated, confused, untrusting, but she still agreed. "I won't be able to do it today though. Maybe the day after next but.... Keep it for now. I'll get it from you later." She places the object back into his open palm and stands back up. Grabbing the bag of witchcraft-related items, she stuffs the book back inside and exits the cave. "I'm happy to be working with you, King Phantom."

She waves him goodbye and the ghost stands there dumbfounded. Maybe she was just stating a type of ghost, or maybe she was stating his name, but it was the first time of what will be many that she referred to him as anything but Ghost King. "Likewise, Spirit."

Author: HELLO! HELLO! I decided to post something even though I haven't written a new chapter yet, oh well. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you're interested in how far ahead I am, I'm on chapter 16. I still have no idea how long this book will be but I hope you enjoy it none the less. Anyways, with Danny and Sam, in the story they'll be referred to as Phantom and Spirit, until further notice. I hope that's okay and I hope they don't feel too out of character either.

Next Chapter: A Lost Pancake

Author: Does anybody know how to cook? Or maybe how to not be emotionally exhausted on a regular basis?