Lost Pancakes

Author: This has to be one of my favorite chapter titles. 😂😂😂😂

"Hmmm. Okay now, how about.... What are we going to have for breakfast?" The mother witch ponders and the troll child answers.

Despite the flimsy fur and paw-like hands, the witch child shuffles a deck of cards in her hands. With a smile, Kit pulls out a card.

"I'm not making pancakes. You know what they do to you," the spirit witch deadpans. A pout comes from the child but a laugh comes from Spirit.

"I see you've gotten settled." A voice comes from the now open bedroom door.

Kit looks at the Phantom King, a bright smile on her face, then to her mother. A frown grows on her face as she shakes her head. "What do you mean I can't curse him? He came in uninvited," the mother witch chuckles from her own joke. "At least let me kick him with my combat boat," she attempts to reason.

"Remind me what you teach her," he haphazardly chuckles and invites himself to their little reading on the floor.

Spirit nods at the kitten to continue her shuffling, and as she does so, Spirit explains. "Kit is a divination witch, unlike me who is a green witch. I don't know much about divination because, again, I'm a green witch, not a spirit witch, not a divination witch. But kit specifically works on tarot readings of the future, right now she can only tell what's going to happen throughout the day the reading is done. She can also tell what has already happened, but everything is pretty blurry in her readings. She has a great intuition though, despite all that." Her voice grows soft and Phantom's eyes seem to match. The while aurora of the woman just seems to... drop.

"Of course except when it comes to what to eat." Spirit sticks out her tongue and Kit does the same causing Phantom to chuckle.

"Why didn't we just use tarot cards for the ring then?" His laugh settles with the room. The child shifts and the woman stiffens. A cold glare rests in her eye.

"Asking that is like asking a chief to do an artist's job. Like I said I'm a green witch, I work with plants and herbs for the majority of my magic, not cards." Spirit's words stay in the air, the room is now silent, waiting for someone to break the spell.

Spirit is the first to do so. Grabbing her messenger bag off the floor she walks out of the room and signals for Kit to come. The small troll follows close behind. Pocketing her cards away, she waves to the Ghost King.

Spirit eyes the troll running to catch up. "Got everything?" She smiles and Kit nods. "Good. Now, how about some waffles instead of pancakes?" Their hands interlink and they continue to walk through the vast hallways.

Twists and turns only anger the mage further. Already ready to shoot flames from her mouth the witch is finally ready to admit defeat. "Maybe we should just ask someone where the kitchen is?" Her eye twitches from her own suggestion and Kit rolls her eyes as if she'd suggested that a million times over.

"Ask someone what?" A tense but sweet voice calls from behind them.

Slightly startled, the momma bird slides down part of her cardigan ready to attack. It takes a moment for her to realize who she's ready to throw hands at, but she laughs when she does. "Sorry, Diastra. My guard has been up since I've arrived in this place. It's a bit of a maze so I don't really know what's behind the next corner." The older woman laughs awkwardly but the friendly ghost tries to settle her.

Though off-put by Diastra at first and her condition as a ghost, Diastra and Spirit had quickly become friends agonist the topic of self-defense and how Diastra had to take up a different method after becoming disabled as a ghost. Despite their friendship, Kit still hadn't warmed up to the ghost, instead, taking up the option of hiding behind her mother's legs and hissing at the strange and tired-looking woman.

"It's fine. Where were you headed?" Diastra tries for a crooked smile.

"The kitchen. Little Miss Sweets here wanted pancakes." Spirit gives a sarcastic smile to the cat witch but she gets nothing in response.

"Why not go to the dining hall then? Today should be Tasty Tuesday, which is sadly also known as Pancake Wednesday. Don't ask about the name. They should be serving food there." She advises. Spirit nods and thanks the ghost.

Pulling along the small child the pair start to make their way only to be interrupted. "By the way," Diastra interrupts, "Next time you see Danny. Tell him I'm not a task boy. And I'm not a maid either." Despite the rigidness at the end, Spirit smiles and waves goodbye, walking a little fast than before.

"I see why you don't trust her now." Spirit shivers in her skin, half-joking. It's only a few minutes when they realize they never actually asked for directions.

Regardless of the struggles and tumbles finally, the mother and daughter duo spot a large sign above an equally large set of doors. The smell of pancakes wafts out from the cracks and twin smiles spread across both their cheeks.

"I guess you're prediction wasn't just a slide of the hands. You ready for some pancakes?" The mother jokes and the child shakes her with a happy smile, and together they open the doors.

Author: okay, so, I'mma update you guys on how far I've written into the book and Umm.... I haven't written in like a month. But the good news is when I stopped Writting it was around chapter 16. I'm not sure if I'll continue the story past that but I'm hoping that I will. I know how I want to end the story but I'm not sure how to get there. Either way I'll try to remember to post. I'll also be posting chapter five.