Chapter 3: We all have backstories

"I cannot

"I cannot.. I was not made for the outside world..."

The dragon sighed, fidgeting his fingertips with one another.

"What do you mean?"

Derick leaned closer, feeling in interest by hearing more stories. This kind of entertainment was something that as a General he couldn't get. Who'd known that even a beast could have such a dramatic life story?

"When I was born my family already lived in this cave. When the Martial God... when my father felt he did not want us close anymore, he left the cave. My mother, afraid he would be betraying her, decided to go after him. Leaving my oldest brother in charge of my two older siblings and me.

"It was clearly stated by the goddess that we could not leave the place to try to find a better life... so that way, my mother and father never came back...

The boy's eyes started itching. Trying to ease his sorrow he brushed his palms over his eyes several times. Avoiding any little watery problem to break out...

"My big brother stated as a rule to never go outside. But we ran out of food..."

He sniffed, as his face distorted. The edge of lips going down; his nose getting redder; his voice cracking at every word that left his mouth.

"Soon my siblings left me... They would... they would give me part of their food to make sure I would stay alive as the youngest... they all died for me..."

Letting off his pain he tried to avoid any tears from falling through to his cheeks. But the more he wiped the more tears fell down.

Still trying to compose himself. He wanted to talk, but no word came out.

His state was devastating.

Even a cold-hearted person would at least feel awkward. If their heart were bigger, maybe even empathy...

The General's look was quite unsure. Was he supposed to help in some way? Should he laugh for him to be a "man" crying? Should he wipe away his tears? Tell him that he was going to be alright now?

He couldn't be egoistic enough to let out a "it is alright now, you are fine. You are alive at least..."

That wasn't meant to be.

Instead he silenced himself waiting for the other to continue. Feeling that standing up would be too... insensitive.

But wasn't he already treating him with such an indelicate feeling?

He literally stabbed him some minutes ago... What was he trying to show now?

That he had at least a little heart?

He furrowed his eyebrows. Sighing hoping to get out of the awkward situation.

He has seen men cry from fear, but he has never seen men cry for love? Friendship? ...Family?