Chapter 4: Back to normality

"Hey beast? Do not do this to me! I am talking to you, do not just fall asleep!"

He shook the beast's body, but as he made contact with his skin he realized how much the dragon boy was shaking. Softening his shaking he spoke in a more serene tone of voice, "Are you alright? Are you in pain?"

The eyebrows of the dragon twitched as his eyes opened. It seemed like he had a hard time opening them since his eyelids were shut for a long time.

As he tried to speak no sound came out, his body immediately formed into a ball. He was holding his stomach tightly. Had it not been for the solitude of both of them inside the cave, the young man's grunts of pain could not be heard. These grunts echoing against the walls.

"Hey..."

Derick touched the dragon's shoulder, and caressed all the way up to his cheek. The temperature was too high! He was burning; a thin layer of sweat covered his forehead.

It was then that Derick remembered what he wanted to ask the dragon earlier. Concerned he reached for his back and rear of his knees, and carried him in his arms. He pushed his sweaty hair away from his face, asking, "Answer me if you can please..."

"Drinking that water in your human form would mean you are..."

"Poisoned..."

The dragon interrupted the General to complete his sentence. His voice was like a whisper. You could hear how hoarse it was.

Horrified by the dragon's response. He remembered how after being stabbed by himself, the dragon fell into the water. Swallowing mouthfuls of the magical water. Taking into account the story the young man had told him before, he could not be cured until sunrise came and be transformed back into a dragon.

But there were still several hours before sunrise!!!

How was the dragon supposed to survive?!

"Hey! You need to hold on..! There is still a long way before sunrise comes!!"

The dragon gulped, forcing a smile on his face.

"Are there any more stories from the outside you know...?"

Even if he was wounded he still listened to the human. He did pay attention to his rambling.

Listening to his brittle voice the General brought the young man's body closer. His words sounded like sighs of pain, trying to forget his strain. He had long been suppressing his pain to avoid alerting his contrary.

"Could you please tell me another story...?"

His eyes were closing. His strength to keep them open was low. His physical state showed someone who did not have the opportunity to have a feast and eat to his heart's content. His strength to stay awake was almost nil... no doubt he was aware that he would not last much longer.