Ch-3: The Bonfire

KEZIA TISDOR

***********

Her back was drenched by the time she made it to her dormitories. It was a long day. It literally sucked her life out. Who would have class when it was pouring out? It was a perfect afternoon for a mug of hot jasmine tea and a book.

Yet she had dragged herself to sit through the class and listen to the lecture. A lecture on a topic she already knew. The Academy opened just two days ago and the lessons and the classes were already going in full swing.

She carelessly threw her bag on her chair and dove onto her unmade bed. Had she been back at home, her mother would have nagged her to make the bed, but here, as much as she hated to admit it, she was free. Nothing was expected from her except to study her subjects dutifully. After all, not many got a scholarship into the world-famous Ryhar academy.

"It's the weekend!" her roommate exclaimed as she entered their room with her friend. "You promised, Kezia. You said you will come to the bonfire."

The Academy had a tradition of hosting a bonfire on the evening before the weekend after every semester holidays. Sometimes, if a noble or a royal was feeling too wealthy, then they might host a bonfire, but for those bonfires, a student had to have an invitation. But for the ones the Academy hosted, anyone could attend.

She groaned, "Is it too late to take my words back?"

If she was forced to attend this bonfire, how could she do the work Ari'el gave her? That was more pressing than catching up with people she hated.

"Yes." Raya neatly placed her bag on her shelf and opened her wardrobe. "You are coming."

"I don't want to," she protested.

"You told this last time, Kez," Jade, Raya's friend who often crashed in their room said. "It's been two years!"

"It means." Kezia sat up. "I am not interested in this bonfire thing. You both have to take a clue."

If it had been Jay before her, she would have thrown a tantrum and her sister would have allowed her to remain in her room.

Raya pouted as she poked her head from her wardrobe. "Don't be a Bolin and come! It will be fun."

Kezia blinked. "I think your idea and my idea of fun are totally different, Ray."

"You will meet all the cute guys on the campus, Kez," Jade winked. "And the hot ones."

"Not the Astras and the Zorans," Raya quipped. "Just normal humans."

"What's wrong in just normal humans?" Jade asked, helping herself with the grapes Raya had kept on her table. "They are... fine. Though they are not as handsome as an Astra or a Zoran, there are some great guys. There are also half-Astras and half-Zorans. That would do for me."