Ch-6: Bride List

A/N: Don't worry about the chapter's name.

ADRIAN CHIARO

*************

*************

It was another sleepless night. The rain abandoned the sky around the twenty-fifth hour. Each drop echoed in his ears, whispering things he knew he must not listen. Yet, their voice was so enticing that he could give in to the wild abandon.

He laid on his arms and gazed out. What happened tonight had been completely out of anyone's control. Another murder. Even if not investigated, this will be tied to the other four murders. And the victim this time was a half-Zoran.

No, not a half-Zoran. It was a human. That other human girl told them that the murderer had come for Kezia.

This gave him another way to think. All this while they had been thinking that the murderer had been killing random girls from Ryhar. But when one girl's name was specifically said, it had great implications. That meant each girl was carefully chosen. But why? Why kill them?

Did all these girls ganged up on someone in Ryhar and tortured that student? Or this murderer's friend? Was this personal revenge? Or was it something more?

If it was something more, could he interfere? Adrian sighed. The past few days, he was the crown prince just in name. The power shift was tremendous. Even with his aunt trying her best to stabilise things there, he could no longer ignore his uncle.

Soft knocked pulled him from his contemplation. It was already the fourth hour. Was he really just thinking about this case for the past five hours, or did he sleep in between?

He pulled on a shirt and opened the door to see two people standing there. While Cayden held reports, his cousin looked grim. Arec Chiaro, his uncle, Prince Einar's son, helped him more than his uncle did.

"Come in," he said, moving to sit on his chair.

His room was very much spacious. His enormous bed occupied one side of the room. Two tables were there. One was his study table, which always had a couple of books, and the other was used for dining in his room or for discussions. Being a Royal, he was granted to have a small library in his room.

Arec sat opposite. "The capital's in chaos."

Cayden sat next to him. "Tell me about it."

Arec shook his head. "Trust me, the more you know, the morse messier it gets."

He leant against his chair. "Let me guess, Prince Einar is trying to make Killian the crown prince of Yalea."

"No surprise there," Arec said, his grey eyes darkening. "Killian is nothing but an illegitimate child. How can Ein- my father make him the crown prince?"

Cayden gave him a weird look. "Arec? You want to be the crown prince then?"

At this, his cousin had a horrified look. "No. No, no, no. I just want to do my poetry and my literature and have a peaceful life. Is it hard to achieve?"