Ch-10: White Fir

ADRIAN CHIARO

*********

There was a pull in her gaze. Like it demanded him to see her and nothing else. No matter how pitiful the sun looked or how magnificent the blooming flowers did, nothing could take his eyes off the human whom he met last night.

It was not just the strength in her, but she had a lurking darkness that called out to him. That enticed him to play with her.

A familiar scent blasted through his nose. He frowned slightly and looked up to see a frowning Kia. He usually sensed anyone who came close to him and he should have sensed this princess coming.

"What were you thinking?" she asked as she sat down, but her gaze wandered to the line he had been seeing.

"Just saw Kezia was here," he replied. Trying to lie to her would be stupidity. "Wondering where Lady Verika is."

"Lady Verika," Kia whispered, taking her eyes off Kezia and Camilla, who made their way towards them.

Kezia stood there awkwardly for a moment. Then her eyes darted between Kia and him. With a small smile, she sat down and placed her bag next to her. Camilla followed her suit.

"What about Lady Verika?" Adrian asked.

Kia's tone had not been right.

"She is from Morvos," Kia said. "Unfavoured child."

Kezia frowned. "Does that affect how the Ball would be organised?"

Kia clicked her tongue. "Technically, with Adrian, it would not be. But... Verika's unfavourable status is known all throughout Morvos. The event might not be exactly pleasant."

Kezia rubbed her nose. "Can't the event organisers be changed?"

Adrian shook his head. "Not after it is announced."

Kia smirked. "Why? You want to change Verika?"

Kezia's face scrunched up. "Why would I do that? I ditched last year. I would have found a way to do that this year too."

Camilla patted her shoulders. "We have been past this, Kez. You have to do it."

The human shrugged her hands off. "Let me dream a little."

He had once seen Magnor Tisdor's portrait. Though the image in his mind was a bit blurry, she did not share a single feature with that Astra. Did she completely take after her mother then?

Though this female claimed to be a human, everything she did, proved otherwise. There was an aversion among humans towards Zorans and Astras. And the friendship between the races would take ages to build. That was how it was in the past and the situation was not becoming any better now. In fact, it was worsening.