Part 12

Stephen was panicking. Now it took a lot to make someone like him panic but this was one of those times. Loki was in a much worse state than he thought he was, and Stephen didn't know what to do. It had been less than twenty-four hours since they caught the witch. Loki hadn't woken up, he hadn't moved since Stephen placed him in bed. The others who were on the mission had been brought to the sanctum so Dr. Strange could wake them up, and most of them currently still were. Except Carol who insisted on leaving early to tell the others the good news about catching the witch.

"You're worried about something, what is it Doctor?" Wanda asks. Stephen shook his head. "It's nothing you need to worry about."

"So where's Loki? Barns won't shut up about how he showed up and saved us or something" Sam says. Stephen stiffens up instantly at the mention of Loki. Wanda looks right at Stephen, eyes narrowing "Where is Loki, Stephen?" she asks. "He is in his room" Stephen says simply. "What happened?" Wanda asks. "Nothing happened Wanda" "Okay, what is goin on?" Sam asks, confused. "Stephen is freaking out and trying to act like he's not" Wanda says. Stephen sighs, head in his hands. "Well he's not doing great at acting."

"What's going on?" Bucky asks, walking into the room. "Mr. weird doctor is hiding something" Sam says. Stephen runs a hand through his hair, the stress getting to him. "Just spit it out Strange'' Wanda says. Stephen slams his hand on the table "You want me to spit it out? Fine" he snaps. "Loki is dying, and it's my fault. He died, Five years ago and Thor convinced me to bring him back. I agreed although I knew the risks and now Loki is paying the price." he explains. "What do you mean he's dying?" Bucky asks. "His brain is going through a state of flux. Imagine really intense jet lag, that's what's going on in his head. It's trying to fix itself, and in it's desperate attempt to catch up it's bringing Loki back to the state where he was. It's like a spool that was tightened to far so its unwinding." Stephen explains his jaw clenching. Everyone went quiet. "I have done everything in my power to try and keep him alive but it's not working anymore. He is currently in a comatose state, and I don't have any idea of how long he will last." Wanda walks over and puts a hand on his shoulder. Before looking up at the other two. "You two should go home, rest up" She says. Bucky and Sam nod "good luck" Bucky says before they go to leave. "What are you doing?" Stephen asks. "I'm going to help you look through everything in this sanctum, till we find something to save Loki" Wanda says, looking at him dead seriously. Stephen looks up at her confused. "Why? Just earlier today you were talking about how much you didn't trust him" "You and Bucky say he saved us. I trust your words, and you care about him Stephen. In some crazy backwards, and confusing way, You care about him; you wouldn't go through all this trouble if you didn't. That is enough reason for me, to help." Stephen stood, his hands trembling more than they normally would be. "Then we better get started, we don't have very long"

Hours later, the search for a way to save Loki was still underway. The sun started to rise bringing light into the sanctum. The only nice thing was the soft snoring from the red head who had fallen asleep, head resting on the table. Stephen sighs as he realizes the sun is coming up. He decided to leave Wanda to sleep as he continued to search elsewhere.

He couldn't sleep if he tried. Not when just through the door was Loki, suffering, because of him. Wanda's words kept swirling in the back of his mind.

"You care about him Stephen. In some crazy backwards, and confusing way, You care about him; you wouldn't go through all this trouble if you didn't."

Again and again the words played in his mind. Stephen knew she was right, but that didn't make it any less confusing. He cared about Loki. But what did that entail? Were they friends? Or, Something else?

Stephen found himself thinking of the days he spent nursing Loki back to proper health as they searched for the witch.

Every morning was the same for a while. Stephen would bring Loki breakfast, wishing him a good morning. Loki would barely speak, and wouldn't eat till Stephen left.

Then one day he said good morning in return. Another day and he almost seemed to smile. Soon a week had gone by and they began to have normal conversations. Loki started to joke sarcastically, and Stephen would respond with either a smile or something witty. They would share more time together. Stephen had grown to look forward to their interactions each day. They became each other's escape. But one particular interaction he couldn't get out of his mind. A short time ago..

Stephen knocked twice and opened the door to Loki's room. To see Loki turn to him and smile. His smile was small, but genuine; he seemed calm, and relaxed. Which was a relief. Loki was always so tense and it was nice to see him relaxed. "Good morning Sorcerer" The god of mischief said looking up at the other. "Good morning Loki, You seem to be in a good mood. Did you sleep well?" Loki nodded "I am for once, and yes I did" he said softly glancing at the window. Stephen placed the tray of Loki's breakfast on the side table "Well that is good to hear, Would you like me to make some tea?" His and Loki's eyes met. "That would be nice yes" Stephen nods "Very well" he goes to leave but is stopped by Loki grabbing his hand. Stephen felt his heart rate quicken as he turned to look at him. "Thank you, Stephen," Loki says. Time seemed to freeze as Stephen held eye contact with Loki, their hands still intertwined. That was the first time Loki had ever used his name. He couldn't help but smile. "You're welcome Loki."

Stephen felt as if he was reliving every memory he had with Loki as he tried his best to find something to help him. But to no avail. That was until he heard a voice.

"Doctor" "Wanda?" He turned around to see no one. Confused, Stephen looked around. "Well, close" The voice echoed again. Stephen froze "Oh, it's you. Get out of my head Witch, I have more important things to deal with." The Scarlet Witch laughed "oh yes yes I know, I just wanted to talk" "I do not have time for-" "For you to argue? No you don't and neither does Loki" Stephen froze in place, uttering not a word. "Ah, See you can listen." "Stop wasting my time," Stephen said, anger growing inside him. "I can save him" "..What?"

A Second Chance Book 1जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें