Part 14

"I still think this is a terrible idea," Loki says with a scowl.

"While I agree, it is much better than the alternative." Stephen explains as he adjusts the cuffs of his shirt. He was dressed much more casually than he normally would, a grey button down shirt and black dress pants.

"What exactly is the alternative to going to this so-called 'casual party'?" Loki asks, crossing his arms in front of himself.

"They'll bring the party here." Stephen says with an irritated sigh. "Look, It'll be an hour at most then I can make some sort of excuse and we can leave it's no big deal."

"Not a big deal? Most of them have tried to kill me at least once"

"You've tried to kill them too so that's not a valid point." Loki sighs grumbling to himself as he uses his magic to change into a black button down shirt and black pants to match.

"You're wearing that?" Stephen says disapprovingly.

"What's wrong with this?" Loki asks, offended.

"You look like you're going to a funeral." Loki scoffs

"I do not!"

"At least wear something with a little color?"

"Color doesn't exactly fit my mood" Loki says with a glare.

Stephen sighs. "Fine. I will be right back and then we shall leave." Loki rolls his eyes as Stephen leaves the room.

"I honestly don't know why you stand living with him. He's so stuck up"

"He does have a point though, you should add a little color."

Vita and Mortem chimed in with snark causing Loki to sigh.

"What do you two want?"

"Take us with you!" The two say in unison. Loki laughs.

"Not going to happen"

"Awe c'mon Loki! What if something happens?"

"Yeah! You might need us!" The spirits whine.

"No. I'm not going to take a pair of enchanted knives to a casual party with people who already don't like me. They wouldn't even let me in." Loki didn't even know why he was so worried about what the others thought about him. He didn't even want to go, so why did it matter?

"Well that would be if they knew you had a pair of enchanted knives" Mortem says with a hint of mischief

"What exactly are you implying?" Loki questions.

"We can disguise ourselves as something else so they won't know," Vita says. Loki walked to his room, to his bedside table where the knives were sitting.

"And what exactly could you turn into?" In that moment the knives transformed into two black jewels faceted in gold.

"Earrings?" Loki questions.

"Cufflinks! Their cufflinks." Mortem says in an irritated tone.

"I see." Loki mused.

"They wouldn't think twice about you showing up with these. The only one who would notice is Mr Sorcerer Supreme, and he knows full well that sorcerers and their item do not like to be separated for long" Vita explains.

"Very well." Loki said. And wIth a flick of his wrist he was wearing the cufflinks. "Now I will take you with as long as you stay quiet. There is a witch who will likely be there and we don't want to raise any suspicion. Is that clear?"

"Crystal clear " Vita says with a laugh causing Mortem to groan. "Get it Mort? Cause we're jewels?"

"Yes Vita.. I get it." Loki just sighs rolling his eyes as he leaves his room to find Stephen waiting for him.

"Took you long enough." Stephen says impatiently.

"Let's just get this over with shall we?" And with that Stephen opened up a portal and led Loki though.

It was just a small get together. What could go wrong?

~mean while~

-right after she left-

The Scarlet Witch had teleported to her hide out. It was still a wreck from when the Avengers came to capture her.

"How naive of him" She muttered to herself rolling her eyes. Everything began to magically fix itself as she walked through the wreckage. "They care about their own so dearly, it makes them foolish. Turning their love for one another into their weakness by being careless." She was angry now. Caring for people was meant to make people stronger, and it angered her that people let themselves be so easily exploited. "I'm practically a goddess, if they wish to oppose me they should be better" The walls shook with her rage, but she calmed down not wanting to undo her work of cleaning up. Taking a deep breath she created an orb of red energy in her hand. "These pathetic Avengers aren't worth my time anymore" she sneers as the center of the orb glows white.

As if it were a screen, the orb started showing events from the Avengers past. It paused on none other than Natasha Romanoff. "Ah, Perfect. You will be an excellent distraction"