12.

"Hurry, Beomgyu-hyung!" Kai shouts as Beomgyu exits the food tent. "There's not much time left!"

"Okay, okay," Beomgyu responds, speeding up his steps towards Kai, "Where do we need to go?"

"Mm.. here you go," Kai leans in towards Beomgyu and shows him his phone. "This is the address."

"Got it," Beomgyu says in a heartbeat. "Now are you ready to run?" The older's mouth upturns into a mischievous smirk. "W-what?" Kai stutters, but there's not much time to process anything before Beomgyu grasps Kai's hand and starts sprinting down the street. Without much thought, Kai starts running at full speed behind Beomgyu, who's guiding him as they run past the people on the street. Kai can feel the thump of his heartbeat even up to his ears--it's hard for him to tell whether his heart is racing from the sudden sprint or Beomgyu's cool fingers over his.

They run through the streets, turning left and right, until they spot a growing crowd farther down the street. "I think that's it!" Kai exclaims when he catches a glimpse of a tall, blonde vocalist adjusting his mic and taking a seat with his guitar. The two boys gradually slow down and try to get a better view of the performance.

"Thank you for coming, everyone!" The street performer says, " Today I'll be performing covers of a few of my favorite songs, and then my newest original song! Hope you enjoy!" Kai cheers loudly with the crowd until he glances at Beomgyu next to him and blushes, embarrassed. Beomgyu raises an eyebrow: "I guess you were really excited for this, huh?"

"Shush and just listen to the music," Kai retorts, playfully nudging Beomgyu. The older chuckles in response as they settle at the front of the crowd, leaning into each other and fingers still intertwined.

☆ ☆ ☆

"Thank you for coming today everyone! I hope you enjoyed my performance~" The blonde vocalist grins and takes a bow before adding, "As a little surprise event to end the night, I'd like to call up an audience member to sing a song of their choice with me!! Would anyone like to volunteer??" 

"Oh my gosh, Kai!! This is your chance!!" Beomgyu excitedly gasps before raising his hand high in the air. "Over here! My friend would like to volunteer!!"

"H-hyung-!!" Kai stutters in response to Beomgyu's surprising action, but it's too late. The performer has already caught attention of Beomgyu's enthusiastic response and is walking towards the two boys.

"Hi there, do you mind singing a song with me?" The vocalist says after making eye contact with Kai. Although his face is slightly flushed from the unexpected attention, Kai gives a shy nod before walking to the center of the stage where the performer hands Kai another mic. 

"Thanks for volunteering to sing! Could you please introduce yourself?"

"Um... hi everyone! My name is Huening Kai and I am currently a first year in high school!!"

"Nice to meet you Kai! Thanks so much for coming to enjoy my performances today with—is that your boyfriend?"

Kai's face turns a shade more red at the mention of the word boyfriend. He's thrown off by the unexpected question. "N-not boyfriend, just a friend," Kai stutters out his answer and laughs nervously. He can't bring himself to look in Beomgyu's direction as he says those words.

"I'm sorry, I think that question might've been too personal," the vocalist apologizes before continuing, "but regardless I hope you had a great time~ Do you have a song in mind that you would like to sing?"

"... Can't Help Falling in Love by Elvis Presely, please."

"Ah, a classic! Great choice," The vocalist positions his fingers over the frets of his guitar then asks, "Are you ready?" to which Kai firmly nods.