Tony x fem!Reader

You tossed and turned in your bed, but it looked like you weren't getting any sleep tonight, unfortunately. You sat up and rubbed your eyes a little harder than necessary. You couldn't count all your sleepless nights on both hands, it was something that happened all too frequently. You'd tried different medications, meditations, therapy, exercise...but your body seemed to hate you.

The alarm clock on your nightstand read 2:34 AM. Great...

You stood up from your bed, grabbed an old jumper to protect you from the chill air, and let your feet take you along your routine path. Living in the Avengers Tower definitely has its perks. You had a large bedroom, the kitchen was always fully stocked and you lived with your friends and co-workers. Specifically, Tony Stark. Since the team defeated Loki and his Chitauri army, you had moved into the Tower. Sleepless nights had plagued you long before the Battle of New York, and you don't know why you expected a switch in scenery to change that.

The first night you couldn't sleep, you had decided to explore the Tower a bit. You still weren't sure where everything was, and this way there was no one about to bother you. To your surprise, when you exited the elevator on the 31st floor, you found you weren't the only one awake. As it turned out, the 31st floor was home to the laboratories - a place that Tony and Bruce often frequented. You hadn't meant to interrupt Tony, but before you could apologise and run away, he had insisted you stay.

That was over six months ago, and so every time you found yourself unable to sleep, your feet automatically took you to the labs on the 31st floor.

Your bare feet hardly made a sound as you walked down the hall to the elevator. As you waited for it, you pulled on your jumper, almost regretting not putting socks on before you left. A 'ding' sounded, and the metal doors glided open. It was even colder in here. You barely glanced at the board of numbers as your finger pushed the familiar button, and you began your descent.

Immediately after you stepped out, you noticed something was off - the lights, to be specific. Was Tony working on some glow-in-the-dark tech? You wandered around the lab slowly, not wanting to bump into anything, before you came to the conclusion that he wasn't there. It wasn't the most unusual thing - it's happened once or twice before.

With a frown, you made your way back to the elevator. You weren't sure where to go. Return to bed? No, you'd just find yourself back out here. To the kitchen? Maybe, but you weren't craving anything at the moment. What about Tony's room? Wait- Tony's room? Where did that come from? It seemed your body had agreed to the suggestion, as your finger immediately pressed number 32. You'd laughed when you'd realised his room was only a floor above the labs - typical Stark.

But right now you found the situation far from amusing. This was a bad idea. This was a bad idea. You repeated the sentence in your head until you stood in front of Tony's door. There was a chance that he'd be awake, but what if he wasn't? What if your knock woke him up from the first bit of good sleep he's had in months? You couldn't do that to him. Why did you even come up here in the first place?

Surely it had nothing to do with the fact that his presence comforted you, or that you felt so at ease talking and joking around with him. Of course it wouldn't be because hearing his laugh, his genuine laugh, made your stomach feel all tingly, or because whenever he saw you, you swore his eyes lit up, making you feel like the most important person in the world. Surely it wasn't that, right? Right.

...right?

Oh, who were you kidding? You were pretty sure Bruce had seen you drool over Tony's biceps at least a couple hundred times - you weren't exactly inconspicuous. Who could blame you, though? Tony had the brains and the brawn...and the voice...