Chapter 6: oh, no

The next day, I got home from school a bit earlier than usual and quickly changed. Mum was on an afternoon shift and would be home about six-thirty; I would time when to put my dish on to cook, so that it would be ready shortly thereafter.

I felt excited. I headed for the kitchen and opened the fridge. No light. What? It still felt cool so I closed the door.

Was the bloody fridge broken? I looked around; the displays on the stove and microwave were off. No power. I tried the light. No go.

A surge of panic. Come on, stay cool, Robbie, that's the girl (girl?) it's just a blown fuse - a phrase I'd heard, though I didn't really know what it meant.

The fusebox, meter box, whatever the damn thing is called, was out the front, I knew that much. I pulled open the metal door and stood staring at the incomprehensible layout of meters, switches and what-have-you's.

Jason arrived home and joined me at the meter box showing no more understanding of the nature of our electricity supply than I did.

A wave of panic hit me again. My special dish. My treat for Brett that I had put so much time and effort into, so much love, it would be spoiled. No, no.

"Calm down, sis, calm down. Brett will know what to do; he'll be home shortly."

Oh yes, Brett, clever Brett. He would know what to do. But where was he? He should be home by now. Brett, where are you?

He was only fifteen minutes late (his friends wishing him "Happy Birthday').

"The circuit breakers (what were they?) are fine. Let me think."

He went inside and began fussing around on the sideboard and in its drawers where Mum put all the letters, papers, bills, etc. What was he doing? Jason and I stood there watching him. He picked up one paper and began to read it, then, "Oh, shit!"

"What?" Jason and I demanded in unison.

"I think Mum hasn't paid the bill. They've switched off our electricity."

I burst into tears. "No," I screamed, "they can't do this to me. My special dish for your birthday, Brett, It'll be ruined. No, no."

He grabbed me and hugged me. "Robbie, there, there, take it easy, take it easy." He seemed to be so calm.

"Look, babe, even if your dish was to be ruined, I would still know that you had made it for me, especially for me and that's the most important thing."

God, he was wonderful.

"Now, let's not give up hope just yet, there's an emergency phone number here on this last notice I going to ring it."