Chapter 7: Brett to the rescue

He was so smooth and sensible on the phone. "They've given us a twenty-four hours emergency relief. The power should be back on in about forty minutes."

"Oh, Brett," I exclaimed grabbing him.

Jason smiled and said, "Well, man, I think you've just saved our little sister from a nervous breakdown." He headed for his room.

Brett pushed me back gently, "Now, my little dove (oh, he was fabulous) instead of fretting, why don't you use the time to make yourself pretty."

I thought I knew what he meant. I went into my bedroom and got out Aunt Edie's make-up box. I'd been experimenting with various items (just for fun, of course).

When I came back out thirty odd minutes later, I was wearing lipstick, eyeliner and eyeshadow. I'd changed my slacks to a skirt and tights, and put a ribbon in my hair. I felt great, but nervous. What would Brett think?

He'd been waiting for me.

"Terrific," he declared, "I think that's how my little sister should always look."

He went off to his room and I walked on air to the kitchen just as the electricity came back on.

The dish was a success; everybody loved it, including the most important one (to me) of all, my brother Brett.

Mum said she that she had tried to pay the bill that day on her way to her afternoon shift, but her credit cards wouldn't work. No, Mum, I thought, they were maxed out, of course.

Brett told Mum he was taking tomorrow off from school to try and sort out the mess of bills on the sideboard. "Oh, love, I'd be glad of your help. I just can't seem to make sense of it."