Chapter 10: serendipity

It was a few days later when magic happened. Just as we were finishing our dinner, Brett laid a piece of paper in front of Mum; it was a bank statement. "What's this, love?"

Brett pointed to a figure. Mum's eyes grew wide, "Is it . . . is it . . . ours?"

"Yep," replied Brett smiling, "all ours."

Jason and I were frowning at them, puzzled. Brett continued, talking to us all, "An internal audit of their accounts by the compensation insurance company revealed a miscalculation in the payout for poor old Dad. The company lost track of us when we moved; they've been trying to find us for a couple of years."

Brett's grin got broader, "We've just received an additional payment of $120,000."

"What," Jason and I yelled together, jumping to our feet.

"It's all there in our bank account."

Mum pushed the statement back to Brett. "I'm not touching it, Brett. You look after it, you decide."

"Well," he said still smiling, "I can tell you where I want a good slice of it to go. To pay for the youngest member of our family to transition into the beautiful and delightful girl she really is."

I couldn't talk, I was beside myself.

"Absolutely," Jason endorsed the proposal emphatically.

Mum came over and hugged me. "It's what you want, isn't it, darling, to be a girl, to be my sweet daughter?"

"Oh, yes, Mum. Yes," I cried, "I want to be your daughter, a sister to my brothers, to be the girl I know I am."