↳ ❝ [𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟖]

PHILIPPINES, TINAMBACAN

Across the highway and into the inner workings of hidden beaches, just along old houses and family shops, a grey gate furnished with time and age opens to the Malaya Clan's humble abode.
Sleeping peacefully inside her room lays fifteen-year old Ma-I, lightly snoring and drooling on her banig(Philippine Mat), dreaming about Titanic Star, Leo DiCaprio.

Downstairs in the family mansion is Mama Rosa, cooking up a good breakfast for the family. Throwing in onions, garlic, chopped beef and soy sauce, the old woman took a whiff of the soup, humming along with the music in her head.

The Malaya House is a staple of history and culture, seated beside the beach on the island of Samar.
A home of two floors, a training space, balcony, garden, and a shrine; the big house was only ever filled with five people.
Unlike families in Japan and abroad, the Malaya family did not house a lot of help and workers, and most of the cousins, aunts & uncles, daughters & sons, left the house to pursue their own separate lives.
Occasionally, a few members of the Clan would stay behind and continue the family's legacy— the legacy hidden from unimportant and unopened eyes, to serve in the world of sorcery and supernatural.
The Malayas were well known for their astronomical ability of relieving places of powerful curses & slaughtering rogue monsters or aswangs all over the Philippines and abroad; and for having special techniques that echoed in the pages of history.
They often worked with high officials in the government, wealthy families, and help out the villagers in nearby rural communities.

Of course the supernatural business had to have a front, so the family often drabbled in real estate and the food industry, supporting the members who chose to remain non-sorcerers, or those who weren't blessed with the same gifts.
Rosa Malaya was a different case, however. After her older brother died after an attack on the family, she was forced to take over the clan at the mere age of 25.
After meeting Ma-I's grandfather, Rosa had four children, each blessed with the gift of elements of the Earth.
Rosa's eldest daughter, Amihan, had chose a life free from sorcery. In return, she had to volunteer her daughter to take her place.

Ma-I had begun her training at the tender age of 2, as soon as she was shipped off to the province from the big city where her mom chose to remain.
It was safe to say Ma-I was a big fan of her Grandma, or mama, and obviously inherited the power and strength her mama held for more than sixty years.

Today was going to be a different day for Ma-I, one can tell from the special meal Rosa was preparing for her granddaughter.
She had requested the presence of the Malaya elders and even asked for house-help in preparation of today's event.

。。・:*˚:✧。。・:

The gate to the Malaya Mansion was wide open as trucks and motorcycles and bikes flooded in.
Mama Rosa stood by the doorway and waved at the guests and help.
Giving instructions on decorations and preparations, Mama Rosa made contact with her younger siblings, and told them to keep quiet.

"Rosa! Ate!"

Mama Rosa looked towards the voice that called her and gave a smile to her younger sister.

"Diwa, not so loud, please," she gave her sister a kiss on the cheek.
Diwa raised her eyebrows in confusion, and immediately caught on to the woman's request.
"Ah, right," she said in a tone that was between whispering and talking, "she's still asleep, is she?"