𝐈𝐕

PHILIPPINES, CALBAYOG CITY AIRPORT
-ˋˏ MARCH 1998 ˎˊ-

The Malaya family stood by the gate that was only open to VIPs and private aircrafts in the Calbayog City Airport, awaiting the arrival of the family Ma-I was soon to be married into.

"Fix your dress, anak," Mama Rosa turns to Ma-I and straightens out the creases on her Filipiñana dress.

It has been a month since Rosa and Amihan had their heated argument during a luncheon held for Ma-I.
Both women still held prejudices against each other due to the fact that each of them threw curses at each other, both figuratively and literally, but especially Amihan; who barely agreed to the marriage.

"It's set in stone, my child. There's nothing I can do. The elders have all decided it was right."

Standing awkwardly with her grandmother, cousin, great aunt, and mom, Ma-I cringed inwardly at the formalities of it all.
All her family members were wearing Filipiñana, and Ulan was wearing a barong tagalog, to greet the guests properly and traditionally.
Back home, the lechon would be ready to serve...Ma-I thinks hungrily to herself. Why didn't she eat before going here?

She adjusted her arm sleeves for the hundredth time.
Mama Rosa swatted her hand away.
"Tsk, stop fidgeting with your dress!"

Ma-I groaned.

Why was she wearing a golden dress? How come the rest got to wear the traditional colors of blue and red while she wore gold?
Now it was highly obvious that she was going to be the one married.

It may sound silly to ears other than hers, but Ma-I planned to initially be invisible from the Zenin family and let her future husband figure out who his wife was going to be.
She wanted to remain a mystery, just like the female protagonist in the book she was reading.

But her golden outfit bedazzled with traditional patterns of local beads did not go along with her plan.

"Mama, why are we waiting outside? It's so hot, can't we just wait inside the airport?" Ma-I fans herself, letting out a huff as she slouches her back.

"Stop slouching. Stand up straight." Mama Rosa ordered.

Ma-I didn't know what came over her.
Why was she being so rebellious? Didn't she already agree to the marriage? Was she having second thoughts?

Snapping herself out of her "rebellious" trance, she ran through the flow of events in her head. It was time for her to lead the family, to be a good role model to the cousins— to be a Malaya.

୨┈┈┈┈┈                  ┈┈┈┈┈୧
steps to a successful allied event !
(Made by Ma-I <3)

greetings from the airport
ᶦᶦ breakfast with the fUtUre coUpLe(ew)
ᶦᶦᶦ tour around our property(show them the beachfront)
ᶦᵛ entertainment by the cousins and sit - down talks
dinner and showcase by me( don't forget to practice the traditional dance)

୨┈┈┈┈┈                  ┈┈┈┈┈୧

One would say she was indeed ready, others might think she held such a strong front.
If you look at Ma-I now, you would say she looked stunning in her traditional wear, with her black hair tied up into a low bun, dyed rattan beads on her ears, and an aura that radiated poise and grace.
If you had no idea on how the government worked in the Philippines— if it were a Monarchy, you would think she was the Princess.