𝐕

The quarter disbanded after a hearty breakfast, each going on their own separate ways.
Ulan, who went off to Calbayog(city) with Anna— who reluctantly agreed only because she was in charge of buying groceries for the three other kids in her care; and of course, the married couple explored the Malaya archives deep in the family home.

Ma-I led Toji to an underground cave that was covered by a flower bed in the family garden, and a gate that was guarded by a hot-headed duwende.

The staircase was steep and small, Toji's frame could barely even fit, the space prohibiting him from standing up straight or even just stretching his shoulders.
Ma-I giggled at the thought of Toji being cramped into the small space.

"Tch. What's so funny, kid?" Toji annoyingly grunted out.

"Nothing, nothing— I bet you're having a hard time getting down, huh?"

"Guess I'm not small enough like you."

"And by the way," Ma-I went down the last step; "I'm only like, one or two years younger than you."

"Yeah, well, you look like a baby."

Ma-I's demeanour dropped to an all new low. Was she just a kid to him? Was that all he saw?

"Right. This way."
She continued on the narrow pathway, and lit up the lanterns that hung from the side.
Toji was no stranger to the change of aura in the small area, Ma-I was even more silent— not to mention her tone changed.

He shrugged it off, thinking nothing of it.

The two made their way forward till they finally stopped by a wooden gate furnished with time and carvings of the Malaya family; a star symbol that stood in the middle of a sphere.

Ma-I pushed the door open to reveal a wide tavern of books, scrolls, trinkets, and jars of certain magic and items; the sight of all knowledge taking Toji's breath away.
It was lit up brightly with three gigantic lanterns that floated just below the rocky ceiling. It seemed to be illuminated by magic, a light force.
The bar looked full with liquor up to the highest shelf, and five stools were sat in front of the island. Tables and chairs filled the valley between the tall shelves of books and incantations.

The two of them stood by the door, Toji finally being able to stretch his back properly as he took in the view.

"This is it. Our archives," Ma-I walked towards the bar and poured herself a glass of cold milk from the fridge.
"Anything you wanna drink?" She asked while taking another glass from the cupboard.

"We have iced tea, milk, taho, soy milk, chocolate milk, strawberry milk, banana milk, ube milk," she trailed on naming all kinds of milk she had stored.

"Sorry, I'm the only one who ever comes down here frequently for my studies," Ma-I announced shyly.
"So all the drinks I have here are milk— I like drinking milk. It's just good! Milk is—" she cut herself off, now aware of how much she threw the word around.

"I m-mean, milk— wait, why do I keep saying milk?"

"I'll have a beer."
Toji remarked, following along and seated himself down on the stool in front of her.

Ma-I scrunched up her face. Was he already allowed to drink? Moreover, was it legal for her to even serve him drinks?

"Sorry? Beer?"