Safe how stupid

Marie and Tommy sat in a comfortable silence their eyes only on the flickering of the flames was the noise that could be heard.

For the first time in a very long time Marie was content,she felt safe. Safe that was a word Marie hadn't  felt in a long time. Ironic safe next to Birmingham most notorious gangster but for the first time in a long time Marie felt safe. Stupid .

Marie watched as Thomas eyes fell his eyelids fell heavy on his eyes as he stared on at the fire he felt safe in the presence of Mary though he had never met her. The Shelby had heard the Queenstons talk of Mary though it was rare the seemed very protective over the blonde haired women if Mary ever called to the shop the Queenston brothers were the first to answer not allowing any other male hear the voice of their sister locking her away in a far away cottage out on the boarders of Birmingham like a hiding forgotten princess stolen from her castle,out of the eye of people.Thomas had never really understood it,the Queenston brothers were open about most thing in their life apart from their sister and their life before Birmingham those things seemed to have been locked away hidden under a thick layer of black smoke that no human eye could see. If ever the Queenston sister was brought up in a conversation both Bradley and Charlie were quick to shut it down in a panicked state. 

Marie had sat and watched Thomas from the corner of her eyes for over twenty minutes watching has the creases in his forehead eased and his tense locked jaw,slacked as he relaxed in front of the fire as if the warming flames melted away an worries from the previous day. Marie knew of Thomas Shelby her brothers spoke rather fondly of their boss,constantly applauding him of running such a splendid booking business. Although they never shied away from the fact that what the Peaky Blinders did outside of watery lane walls was less that legitimate, it was something Marie always  prided herself in,the fact that her brothers never lied about the ill doings they committed during the day well that was until today. The heavily armoured trust that the eldest three Queenston children held was unmatched and unbroken. They were honest with business,money,home life and health but today seemed to prove that Marie had more trust and faith in her brothers than they seemed to have in her.

Marie was to caught in her own twisted thoughts of mistrust to register Thomas was now fully facing her his eyes concentrating on the doe eyes of Marie as she stared of past him to something that was not there. Though Marie mind was else where her body was there and she could feel the burning gaze of the blue eyes devil that sat next to her.

'Our families are so screwed to hell you know Mister Shelby'

Tommy didn't except that out of Marie since he had met her she only spoke of sweetly of her family and his own

Tommy didn't answer just hummed,he didn't really have an answer he knew she wasn't lying,his family would see hell before anything after death but the Queenstons he wasn't so sure about. Of course the brothers were involved in the cuttings,beatings the whiskey and smoke but something in the eldest Queenston brothers balanced them something pure untainted something so full of love not even the mud from France could coat and sink it to the pits of their own personal hell. For the years he knew the Queenstons Tommy could never work it out.He now did the angel that held the Queenstons morals through heaven and hell and back again was their sister. Mary-Anne. She was the the messenger from god that turned what her brothers did for the devil and exchanged it for  forgiveness from God. Though if Tommy Shelby knew one thing it was it takes a devil to make a decent angel.