C H A P T E R O N E

C H A P T E R  O N E ;A N D  A W A Y  Y O U  G O

C H A P T E R O N E ;
A N D A W A Y Y O U G O

     Tatum never thought she looked like her mother. Everything about Tatum made her believe that surely her mother wasn't actually her mother. Maybe it was the blonde hair, the big blue eyes, the pale skin, or maybe it wasn't anything physical. Diana was stern a mother. She always had Tatum focus on work and school, rather than the limited amount of games the children could play on the Ark. Instead, Tatum took after her father in every way. From the jet black hair, to the soft brown eyes, Tatum knew that she was her father's girl.

     But one thing that they all shared in common, was their fascination of earth. Tatum's father was a dreamer, something that made her mother fall for him. Their shared interests among the big blue and green planet they saw right outside their window, brought them together. The married couple passed down their extensive knowledge of earth. They both believed and one day, in their lifetime, the people that had lived on the Ark for ninety-seven years, would be able to walk the planet again.

     Tatum's Father, Abraham Sydney, the Chancellor at the time, would never see the day that one hundred lucky souls would walk the earth. The sickness that took him was much stronger than any of the equipment on the Ark. The death of her father wasn't expected. It wasn't just Tatum and her mother that suffered, all of the Ark was left to mourn over their beloved chancellor. But Tatum was left with a woman she could barely recognize.

     Diana would take over for her husband until the next Election Day. In her time as chancellor, her cold exterior became one made of stone. Diana suffered in her own silence. Tatum was the one that opened the door to the people that would come by with their sorrows of the loss. Tatum was the one that opened up to people, that didn't let the death of her father turn her into something barely recognizable.

     Her Father taught her a lot of things that even death couldn't make Tatum forget. Whether it was how to treat people to teaching her about geography, it was all valuable to Tatum. He was the one that encouraged education and morals that the young girl should grow to learn. Even when he would tell her a bedtime story, they were never about a damsel in distress. The stories always held a valuable lesson that Tatum would grow up to understand.

     The young girl had been reading one of her favorite books for the fifth time when Diana had come into her room. Her movements were rushed and she hadn't even looked at her daughter yet. Diana continued to frantically rush around Tatum's room and grab a few things, like clothes. She shoved them into a bag and ignored Tatum's questions about what she was doing.

     "Mom, mom!" Tatum clutched her book in her arms and waited to see the frantic look in her mother's eyes, "Answer me."

     "We don't have much time," Diana got out in a low voice. Tatum noticed how her mother spoke to her in a hushed tone, like she wanted to keep this a secret. "Grab anything else that you want."