C H A P T E R T H R E E

C H A P T E R  T H R E E ;R U T H L E S S  M E E T S  H O P E F U L N E S S

R U T H L E S S  M E E T S  H O P E F U L N E S S

     Most of the sunlight was blocked by the leaves that smothered the trees, but the few slivers of light speckled upon Tatum's sleeping face. Her eye lids flickered open, almost afraid to let all the beautiful sun light in. When Tatum sat herself up, it still wasn't her sense of sight that came first. She could hear a beating of a makeshift drum and the sound of soothing singing mixed with laughs and shouts. She could've sworn she even heard a bird chirping.

     Tatum also noticed the dark jacket draped across her body. It was a guards jacket. Tatum's eyebrows scrunched together wondering how she ended up with the coat. The only thing she had was her small bag with a t-shirt, a pair of jeans, and her book. She hadn't had time to grab anything else, nor would they let her bring it. So she sat up, mildly confused on where she got the jacket.

     The trees where swaying with the winding, twirling like one giant sea of green. The jacket fell, and her arms where left exposed out of the white t-shirt she was wearing. Tatum enjoyed the warmth on her bare arms. She looked up at the sun, but closed her eyes from the brightness. She could see all around the camp. The kids that where chasing each other were as loud and rambunctious as ever. Because they could be

     Tatum noticed the empty spot that Miller had fallen asleep across from her. Last night, Miller had brought a few other kids and formed this sort of group. Tatum could see how easily people floated towards him. He had that warm, and welcoming smile that would comfort anyone in need of it. She had waited until all of them had fallen asleep before she did, as well. Tatum spotted Miller showing something off to the people from last night.

     She finally decided to stand up, and dust off the dirt. Her white shirt had permanent speckles of dirt on it now from sleeping on the ground. She grabbed her book bag and put it on. Tatum thought it would be better to keep that with her at all times. She also tucked the jacket around her arms. She started to walk towards Miller's group by the side of the drop ship, and almost ran directly into Wells as he scurried past her.

     She had to stop quickly so that she wouldn't run right into him. He was also followed by one of Bellamy's guys. Atom, Tatum thought his name was. She might have been vaguely introduced to him by Miller or someone last night. Atom and Wells had seemed to be in a slight argument and that question was answered when Atom tried to snatch what was in Wells' hands.

     Wells, of course, didn't back down, "We share based on need, just like back home." Tatum admired Wells' constant persistence against Bellamy and his rule over these kids. She might not of been as vocal as Wells or Clarke, but if she had to pick sides she would pick theirs. Tatum wanted to try and keep as many of these kids alive. She had always loved kids, from little babies to insufferable teenagers, she always tried to be a good influence in their lives, especially while she helped teach elementary on the Ark.