【零壹】REAGAN WAS BORED

chapter 1.
reagan was bored

REAGAN WAS BORED.

As she swirled the alcohol contents in her red cup, she watched the party goers pass her by. The sweaty air lingered and kissed her skin as the loud music snuck through her veins. She watched the drunken dancing, gaudy laughter, and lustful conversations in lurking disinterest. It hadn't taken long for the boredom to settle in – 15 minutes to be exact. Unlike her, Reagan's friends were quick to find new entertainment and temporary companionship.

Glancing to her side, Reagan gave a small wave to her friend Kate who was deep in conversation with a boy in a white cap.

"Who's your friend over there?" he asked Kate rather loudly.

Kate grinned, "That's my friend, Reagan. You should try talking to her. Can't promise she'll respond nicely, though."

Reagan scoffed.

The boy smirked, "I like a challenge."

Leaving Kate with a small brush on her shoulder, he began making his way over. Reagan disliked the way his eyes trailed her body. "Hey," he said, as he put himself too close to her. He leaned his left hand on the wall beside her head. "Reagan, right? Kate told me about you. I'm Brian."

Reagan sucked in a quiet breath and turned to look at the boy, whose unwashed blonde hair was slicked back in an unfortunate attempt at style. "Hi," she said, smiling politely.

"I'm the party host."

"Cool."

"You having fun so far?" he asked as she shifted away slightly.

"Sure." She could feel his breath fanning against her cheek. It smelled bad.

"I'm – "

"Could you hold this?" she interjected, putting more distance between them by holding out her half-filled cup of punch.

"Oh yeah," he said absentmindedly and took the cup from her.

"Thanks," she said, before letting her smile slip. "Okay, bye."

She turned and left the corner she had claimed for the past half hour. Pushing through sweaty bodies and slurred whispers, she made her way to the counter for a cup of water. She took a large sip and turned around, closing her eyes in annoyance when someone stepped on her as they walked by. With a sigh, she continued her journey and found herself a new spot by the window that looked out at the driveway.

She didn't particularly want to leave, but she didn't really want to stay either. Parties like these drained the life out of her, but it wasn't like she had anything better to do.

It had always been like this – tagging along for the ride, only to watch passively from the backseat. Most of the time, Reagan didn't mind it. She told herself she liked people-watching and that she was too disinterested to join anyways.

Her friends dropped by every now and then, flouncing to her with clammy hugs and intoxicated giggles.

"Reagan!" Molly squealed as she giddily approached.

Reagan put on a smile and let Molly wrap her small arms around her.

"Are you having fun, Reaaagan?"

"Of course."

"Booooo," Molly pouted, jutting out her bottom lip and pulling out a dramatic thumbs down. "Liar."

Reagan's lips twitched.

"You never enjoy parties like these. You never put yourself out there!"

"Out where?" Reagan quipped, crossing her arms.

"Out there!" Molly gestured wildly, pointing in all directions of the party.

Reagan shifted her balance to lean against the window wall.

"Why don't you talk to someone!" Molly practically yelled in her face.

Reagan tried her best not to cringe and to maintain her smile.

"Like who?"

"I don't know!" Molly's drunken words bounced off the walls. "Anyone! You're hot, Reagan! And everyone here knows it! I promise!"

"Thanks, Molly."

"No, for real," Molly insisted. She spun around in her spot, before grabbing the closest stranger to her right.

"Hey," she yelled, as the stranger stumbled into the conversation. He looked around with impatient confusion. "Is my friend hot?" she demanded, pointing at Reagan as she held him captive by the collar of his dark blue shirt.

The boy's eyes flickered up and down Reagan's leaning form.

Reagan just stared back at him, expression as empty and as unchallenging as ever. She appreciated the way the boy's dark hair fluffed delicately with his movements. Little strands of curls shaped the corner of his brown eyes, which were filled with irritation.

"Uh," the boy mumbled in annoyance, looking back and forth between the two friends. "Yeah, she looks a little hot. Maybe you could ask them to turn on the AC."

His response amused Reagan. She raised her eyebrows and looked back pointedly at Molly, her lips lifting into a honest smile. Her friend blinked rapidly as she slowly processed his words.

"Are you stupid or something?" Molly finally came to. Without another glance, she shoved the boy aside and huffed. Reagan's eyes followed the poor boy as he stumbled away from them, muttering something along the lines of crazy bitch under his breath.

Returning her attention to her drunken friend, Reagan smiled again. "I'm having plenty of fun, Molly. Go enjoy yourself." Reaching a single hand out, she turned Molly around and gently pushed her back into the crowd.

With Molly's absence, Reagan found the air to breathe again.

The night passed like that. Attempts at conversation with Reagan were made, but they quickly dissolved when people realized she didn't have much to say. They approached her, talked to her, and tried to touch her, but they received nothing but small smiles and simple nods in response.

As Reagan stood at her spot, she watched. She watched the pretty girls throw their heads back in laughter, watched the pretty boys lean in for more. She watched a couple to her right make out and a couple on her left argue. She watched some lanky kid get beat up at the far end of the room. She watched the smoke dance in the air and the music hypnotize the youth.

And when she lost interest, Reagan looked out at the window, past the drunken bodies on the lawn, and up at the moon. She stared at its brilliant brightness and sighed.

Reagan was still bored.