【零捌】THE SAME ORDER

chapter 8.
the same order

THAT WEEKEND, REAGAN was absorbed in her book when a familiar voice interrupted her reading.

"Hey," Asher said.

"Hello," she said back. She noticed the soft curls in his hair seemed messier than usual. They flounced effortlessly to the side, shifting slightly whenever he moved his head.

"I'm going on a coffee run," he said. "Do you want one?"

She paused and thought for a moment, "Only if you let me pay for it."

Asher opened his mouth to complain, but seemed to decide against it. "Fine," he mumbled. "The same order?"

"Yes please," Reagan pulled out her wallet and placed a five dollar bill on the counter. "Tell them to keep the change," she said with a smile. "And thank you."

Asher took the bill and smiled back at her before leaving.

He returned 7 minutes later, once again distracting her from her reading when he placed the coffee on the table.

"Thank you," she said.

"What are you reading?" he asked, leaning forward on the counter and curiously tilting his head to look at her book.

"A poetry collection," she replied, closing the book to show him the cover. "Dover Beach by Matthew Arnold."

"Damn," he said with a dramatic sigh. "Maybe you could help me with my reading. English is not my forte."

"I have better things to do with my time," she said plainly.

"So do I," Asher mumbled. "I couldn't give two shits about poetry right now."

"Maybe if you did you wouldn't be struggling."

He narrowed his eyes in false anger at her, "Okay, smart ass." He took a sip from his drink, momentarily blinking his brown eyes away from her.

"Brian's throwing another party tonight," he said.

"That's unfortunate."

Asher smiled, "I guess you're not going?"

"I'd rather die." She really would. That was easily one of the worst frat parties she had ever been to, but she couldn't tell him that because he was friends with the host.

Asher let out a soft laugh. It was a nice sound that ended too soon when his phone rang, but she didn't tell him that either.

"Hey, man," he said after picking up. "Oh yeah, for sure." He began backing away from the counter, smiling apologetically at her as he walked away with a wave goodbye.

She watched him leave. Asher was similar to Molly and Kate with the way he demanded attention. From his soft curls to his pretty laugh, Reagan knew without a doubt that he was popular and well-liked. He was approachable, talkative, and kind. Everything Reagan was not.

She returned her attention to her book.

The next day, Asher interrupted her reading again by sliding a cup of coffee across the counter. She watched it fall right into place next to her book before looking up at him.

"I didn't - " she started.

"I bought it for you anyways. The same order. This way you can't make me let you pay," he said with a grin.

She stared at him.

"I bought it already. You might as well drink it," he insisted with raised eyebrows.