【拾玖】PEAS IN A POD

chapter 19.
peas in a pod

"I'M SORRY FOR snapping at you," Reagan said.

Kate smiled and threw her hands around her, "That's okay, Reagan. I'm glad things are better. I know I talk a lot sometimes, so don't worry about it."

Reagan stiffened at the embrace, but let herself relax after a few moments.

"I shouldn't have said that," she said.

Kate waved her apology away, "It's okay."

"How's Grace?"

"Oh my god, so good. She does this thing - "

"I didn't mean in bed."

"Oh," Kate laughed loudly. "We're good. We're going on a date tonight! She made a reservation at this gorgeous Italian place, and I'm so so so excited."

Reagan smiled back, genuinely glad to see the happiness on her friend's face.

As usual, Kate skipped away to the dark room after the physics lecture. Reagan watched her leave, feeling the weight lift from her chest as she turned and headed to the quad.

She saw Molly at her usual table under the shade, talking animatedly to a bored Jayden. Reagan waved and took a seat, "Hello."

"Reagan!" Molly greeted with a tone of urgency. "Thank God you're here! Please save me - I'm getting so sick of having to spend my lunches with this jackass every single day."

Jayden gave her head a light smack, "Not like I want to be here, either."

Instead of answering Jayden's banter, Molly tilted her head and looked at Reagan, holding up her hands in a questioning thumbs up.

Reagan smiled and nodded. Molly never pried - that's what Reagan appreciated most about her. She'd give Molly the explanation she owed her later.

Molly gave her a comforting smile, and just like that, Reagan fell back into place.

"Hey guys," Asher's familiar voice sounded from behind Reagan. He took a seat beside her, his hand gently brushing her back.

She smiled at him.

He smiled back and kissed her on the cheek.

Molly's eyes widened. She looked back and forth between them while rapidly patting sideways at Jayden's chest, as if he couldn't already see. "When did you guys...?"

"A few days ago," Asher said cheerfully. Jayden grinned and mouthed nice to his friend.

Molly's mouth dropped open as she continued looking back and forth between Reagan's bored gaze and Asher's smug grin. Her lips curved into a smile as she squealed and clapped her hands.

Reagan sighed and rested her head on her hand.

Molly turned to Jayden with her palm up and wiggled her fingers. He groaned and slapped a $20 bill on her hand as he threw his other arm around her shoulders.

Asher watched their exchange and snorted, "What was the bet?"

"I bet you two would start dating by the end of the year. He didn't believe me," Molly said, gesturing over at Jayden, "but I saw it that day at the beach. Two peas in a pod."

Reagan raised her eyebrows as she glanced over at Asher. He squeezed her hand.

Jayden threw a fry at Asher, "Glad I lost. Good for you, man!"

Molly grinned as she leaned against Jayden, "I'm so happy for you."

Reagan averted her gaze and nodded, unused to the attention.

Asher laughed, "Thanks guys."

"Isn't it crazy?" Molly wondered out loud. "How we all met just a few months ago? This man was harassing me and you too were being sober party poopers."

"I wasn't harassing you!" Jayden protested.

Reagan thought back to that party, remembering the way Asher quite literally stumbled into her life. She wondered where she'd be right now if she hadn't met him and his curly hair that night.

"Oh, yeah. Speaking of parties," Asher grimaced slightly. "We're forever banned from Brian's."

He smiled weakly and raised his shoulders.

"Oops."