Mikey x Depressed reader

Requested by @aminfreak

Title: Tears

Note: For better experience, listen to Day Is Gone by Noah Gundersen and The Forest Rangers.

"Why did you do that?" My mother demanded lowly as I squeezed my eyes closed and prayed she would get tired fast. Or even just drop dead- either or would work.

"Mom, I'm really sorry. I didn't-" I was cut off by a slap to my face that snapped my to the right. Sucking my lips in, I took a deep breath and slowly turned back to face her, pushing my hair away from my face. I tried to hide the tears that were beginning to well up in my eyes.

"Don't call me that. I am not your mother. I am their mother and his wife! You're nothing to any of us!" Letting out a shaky breath, I nodded slowly and turned to look at my siblings, who were sitting in their bedroom doorway, smiling at me. They were enjoying me getting punished like this.

I didn't resent them, though. They were little and had been taught their whole lives that I was the bad kid; that I was the one that deserved to get punished. In a way, I was. I was always messing up and making my family upset, so in a way, they weren't wrong for always doing stuff and then blaming me for it. My mom even had a reward system for whoever got me in trouble the most.

The most times in a week was twenty-seven and I wasn't able to stand up straight after that. But, I deserved it.

"Don't look at them. You know what? Just get out. Go- get out! And don't come back until you've learned how to be a decent human being!" My eyes widened at those words. Me? Be a decent human being? She was going to make me laugh.

"You know I can't do that." I muttered lowly as I began walking away, shaking my head.

"And why not?" I heard her shout from behind me as I stopped and turned my head to look at her over my shoulder.

"Because of you."

I hissed as I pulled myself down the ladder and stepped onto the ground beneath New York. Holding my arm up to my chest, I began the trek to the turtle's lair, limping slightly and not being able to see straight through my black eye and pounding headache.

I hoped that they were all out on patrol so that I could get by without them knowing. But, luck was not on my side.

As I stepped into the lair, I glanced around and sighed in relief when I didn't see or hear anyone.

"(Y/n)?" I heard as I saw Mikey's head come up from behind the couch. He glanced around with sleepy eyes and suddenly locked them onto me. They widened as he stood up and jolted over to me, hands dancing through the air as he tried to avoid touching me.

"Hey, Mike." I grunted, feeling the pain in my shoulder start to flair up again.

"What happened?" He demanded as he led me over to his room, turning off the t.v. and grabbing his blanket as we passed the couch.

"Nothing, I just fell from my window." I shrugged, wincing as I realized what a mistake it was.

"Stop lying. If you fell from your window someone would've seen you and most of one side of your body would be bruised. You've been purposely bruised over your entire body, (y/n). So don't lie to me again." I stayed quiet this time and let him patch me up, even having to pop my dislocated shoulder back in place. My ankle was broken though.

I began crying halfway through him cleaning up, but still didn't want to talk. What if someone found out? What would happen if someone found out? Nothing.

"Why are you the only one here?" I asked in a monotone voice, watching as he lifted my shirt to see my bruised ribs and sides. With a wince, he sighed and stood up, leaving the room. Where was he going? What was he doing? Was he leaving me? Was he going to tell someone? If he was, I had to get out of here. I can't be caught-

Suddenly, the door opened and he stepped in, holding a pizza box and a giant glass in his hands. He put the box down beside me and handed me the drink as he reached for the alcohol wipes and continued on. I winced at the burning and he shook his head muttering a "sorry."

"Oh, uh, answering your question. I almost fell off a building earlier fighting a bot so Leo and Raph told me to sit this one out. Again." He sat back and threw a towel to the floor as he rubbed his face and sighed. "I'm a failure."

"No, Mikey. You're not. You're a good guy with a big heart who just needs a boost of help. That doesn't mean you're a failure." At my words, he sat up and stared at me with narrowed eyes as he bit his cheek.

"What about you? Do you think you're a failure? Or do you just shut up and accept when other people say it?" My eyes widened and I scoffed, standing up.

"It's neither of those things, Mikey. It's complicated."

"How? How is it complicated? Is it really? Or am I just too stupid to understand the fact that someone is hurting you and you don't have the strength to say no?"

"Mikey-"

"No, no. Tell me, (y/n). Make me understand why this is such an issue for you!" He tilted his head and gave me a look as he continued moving his tongue around his mouth.

"Because I can't leave! Okay? I have nowhere to go! They are my family and I can't just walk out!"

"Why not? They obviously don't love you if they're hurting you on purpose! Why would you want to stay and live like that?"

"You wouldn't understand. They just want what's best for me. They love me!"

"So do I!"

I stopped at his words. I turned around to look and saw tears running down his face as he stared at my body. My bruises and broken ankle; the metaphoric chain around my heart that my mother was holding the other end of- and me. He saw me.

"When someone loves you, they don't hurt you. They are supposed to be the ones that promise the pain away. They are supposed to be the one that helps you stop flinching every time someone lifts their arms to hug you. They are the ones that stand by your side until you're okay again- no matter how long it takes. (Y/n), does that really define your family? Or does it define me? Because if is them, I'll stop. I'll stop wondering and prying and loving you. I just need you to tell me that you're okay and mean it."

I licked my lips and opened my shaking mouth, tears threatening to fall.

"I-I-" I suddenly burst into tears as I fell to my knees. Mikey stayed where he was and just watched, his eyes tearing up.

My family bruised me and hurt me for their own enjoyment. They ridiculed me for fun. They laughed at my tears for giggles. All for what? I was a joke to them and anyone else around. Mikey knew that. Mikey wasn't stupid. He was a lot of things, but he really wasn't stupid.

"I'm not okay. It's you. It's always been you." I finally voiced out, my words hoarse from screaming and crying through all the years of pain I'd endured. Without another word, Mikey was in front of me, his arms wrapping my body in comfort and warmth.

"I know. Baby, I know. But I'm going to be here, okay? I'm going to be here until it ends. I'm going to be here until you stop hurting and all of your pain goes away. I'll be here for you for as long as you need and want me. It's going to be okay. You're going to be okay. You hear me? You're strong and powerful. Everything is going to be okay."

There, we cried together as we sat on the floor in each other's embrace.

He cried tears of sorrow for me and my pain and bruises while I sobbed tears of joy and relief. It was finally over. My pain and hurt was finally over. After years of it- enduring it- it was done. It was going to be okay.

I was going to be okay.

my brother was watching the episode of s.o.a. that had the song above in it and i was sobbing and typing at the same time so yknow having a grande old time.