Training Day Two

Holly Forrester, District 7

Chopping things to a trillion pieces was fun- not for the object getting chopped into a trillion pieces, I assume- but sure as hell for me. I grinned as I watched about the 3rd dummy I had dismantled this morning crumple to the ground in pieces. I backed away grinning twirling my twin axes on my fingers like batons.

The guy trainor, Daryle, walked over to me scowling deeply. I suppose having to drag a 100 pound dummy from the supply closet every 5 minutes took a toll on your attitude, especially since it seems that the careers were unofficially competing with me to see who could mutilate the most dummies the fastest. The pair from 2 were on their 7th or 8th dummy which was more than terrifying, but I was beating the dumb bitch from 1 and the stick-boy from 4. The girl looked mildly winded but the guy looked on the verge of death. My grin widened, I chopped wood for a living, I could go like this all day.

I stepped over the pieces of the broken dummy and moved toward my next one, I raised my ax preparing to end the dummy when I suddenly became aware of someone behind me. My shoulders tensed in irritation, I already knew who it was. “Axel.” I shuddered.

“Oh ah hey. Fancy seeing you here.” He said shakily as if he was nervous about me implanting my ax into his scalp- which at this point was a valid concern.

I turned around dropping my axes and crossing my arms over my chest. “What do you want?” I demanded unable to keep the death glare from my eyes. Can I just take a moment to say it really sucks to be a bitch by nature? Like you have to intensely filter everything you say and even then you have no friends because bitchy stuff just slips from your lips accidentally anyway! Not that you need friends because most human beings irritate you as it is.

“Your really good.” He commented gesturing to the dummy.

I almost slapped him, “You would already know that if you’d let me join the damn ax throwing club back in District 7!” I yelled shoving him backward feeling the furry reignite itself in my chest. The sexist bastard.

He looked at me hesitantly, clearly not having the brains to run. “You're still sore about that?”

“Still sore? Seriously? It’s injustice and completely sexist not to allow girls to join the club! Girls get reaped into the games too, we need to have a place to practice our skills and simultaneously have fun!” I hissed, straightening my back. “Besides. The rules can’t be that strict. They let you join.” I sneered, mentally congratulating myself on the burn.

Axel looked like a deer in headlights, “You know what I think I heard someone calling me. I’ll see you later.” He whimpered like a scared puppy dog backing away slowly, then turning and sprinting towards the other side of the room. I looked away ignoring the sidelong glances that our conversation had gathered and taking a deep breath to calm down.

I looked at the dummy I had been preparing to dismantle and suddenly chopping up dummies just seemed very pointless. I remembered what the female trainor had said yesterday about being able to challenge people to a duel…. my eyes fell on the ring that sat in the middle of the room. Nobody had tried it yet.... Probably because they were afraid  getting on the wrong person’s kill list. Personally I had no problem with burning bridges, my mouth was a freaking demolition team on its own, explosions followed me wherever I went. Besides I wanted to punch something that would try to punch back.