Horror Movie Night

The days seemed to be getting longer as they passed by. For a transfer college student, I had arrived in Seoul at arguably the worst time which was during the last semester of the year. This meant that I had to wait for the semester as well as the year-end break to end before I could commence my studies in the new semester next year. I would have had it planned out if it wasn't for my irresponsible mother and my distant father who I still hadn't heard from ever since my arrival. It gave me plenty of time to adjust to and explore Seoul but unfortunately, it also meant I didn't know anyone to spend my free time with. I hung with the guys next door often but only in the late evening and night time when they were all at home. They always had schedules on during the day from the early morning to late evenings which sometimes extended very late into the night, well past midnight. However, whenever they came back home, they always had the energy to be their usual silly selves despite being tired from whatever the day threw at them and would invite me over for dinner when they could.

One Friday night, after dinner, I was watching a rerun of a Korean drama called Pinocchio on television when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was a message from Seungyoun.

soccerfan96: Chiiiiiiii~

what are you up??

You: watching pinocchio

why?

soccerfan96: Come over come over

soccerfan96: C:

You: lol okay

It only took me a minute or two to be ready to head over to their place. Yixuan once joked that we should connect the two balconies together so I could come over whenever I needed to. When I had arrived, they were already gathered in the living room.

'Ah, Chi's here!' Seungyoun cried and waved to me. I put on one of their oversized slippers and walked over to the glass coffee table in front of the plasma screen that was mounted on the wall.

'What's all this for?' There were bowls and plates of various snack food and candy spread all over the top. I spotted stacked glasses in the corner.

'Are we drinking soju?' I casually asked. Yixuan was taken aback by my comment.

'No, we're not drinking...' He crossed his arms. 'Are you even of legal age?'

'I am over here!' I joked, giving him the peace sign.

'Woaaahh, you don't look like an alcoholic.' Seungyoun exclaimed. Sungjoo came over and sat down on the couch beside me.

'Sungjoo, Chi's an alcoholic just like you.'

'Yah! Don't lie like that!' Sungjoo lightly kicked Seungyoun down, who then started maniacally laughing.

'So, what's happening?' I asked, already reaching for the bowl of gummy bears.

'Movie night.' Sungjoo replied. 'We take turns picking movies every Friday and tonight is Seungyoun's turn which probably means we're watching...'

'Horror.' Yibo sharply finished off Sungjoo's sentence. I could see the life slowly drain from Yibo's face as he sat down on my other side. I could hear Sungjoo chuckling at Yibo's expense beside me.

'Do you like horror movies?' Sungjoo asked.

'I'm alright with horror movies it. Wouldn't say I'm a fan though...'

'Don't worry, you can hold onto me if you get scared.' Sungjoo teased, lifting up his arm in front of me. 'I'll protect you.' I laughed off his absurd suggestion and pushed his arm away.