Part 28

How the fuck do you just go "on a break" from someone you love?
Ava and I sure couldn't figure it out. And I felt like she was nervous to communicate to me if she actually did want to talk or not. Because we were talking. We hadn't seen each other for a week, but we were still in contact.
And I missed her. So damn much. I missed her laugh. Her smile. Her body. Everything.
I didn't bother telling anyone in my family about the break between Ava and I except for Katie. I called her about it and she felt bad.
"It's going to work out. I know it." she said. "I think she is probably just overwhelmed by everything, as you are."
"It's just confusing. We are still texting. And she's told me she loves me still. I just don't know what's going on really."
"Breaks are confusing. In some ways I feel like it's just better to break up." Katie said.
"Same, but I really don't want to lose her." I agreed.
"It'll work out. Just don't fuck someone else." Katie said.
"I wouldn't even dream of it." I said, and that I truly meant. I would give Ava time- and I knew I wasn't going to go fuck someone else while I was it.
I wished that April was here to tell me what to do. I knew that she would lift my spirits. I loved Katie, but April just had this way of lifting your mood. Her aura was incredible.
Her birthday had passed. And all I could do was hope that she was out there celebrating somewhere, and that I would be celebrating her 26th birthday with her.
It was the last Friday of March and I was laying on my bed, thinking of Ava, when my phone vibrated. I immediately checked it, hoping it was her. We were texting, but not as much.
To my surprise it was Gabi. The text said:
Long time no talk. How are things?
How were things ? Ha. Could be way better. Thinks fucking sucked. But instead I said:
A lot is going on. Life has been crazy. How are you?
Gabi said:
I'm good. Would you want to hangout tonight? Catch up?
Hm. This was odd timing for sure. And I was going to feel guilty even going there- though I knew nothing would or could happen between Gabi and I. And would I even tell Ava because we were texting still?
I decided to reply:
I might have plans, but it's not certain yet. Can I let you know?
I wondered why Gabi wanted to hangout. If she had some odd sense that I was on a break with Ava- who I hadn't heard from since this morning telling me to have a good day. Which felt like a slap in the face because of course I wasn't going to have a good day.
I was scrolling through Instagram- which I barely posted on- when I saw Ava posted a story. She posted more photos than I did, quite a few of the two of us, but not many stories.
I somehow waited 10 minutes until looking at the story. And when I saw it, my stomach dropped. It was a selfie of Ava and Yvonne. And the dress Ava had on...damn. It made me angry but also turned me on. It was off the shoulder, three quarter length sleeves and a dark to light pink ombré with a cut out below the chest- which was showing cleavage. Her hair was curled at the ends and she had quite a bit of makeup on. She looked amazing. And she was smiling. And it felt like a slap in the fucking face.
I felt my eyes full up with tears immediately. Was she really that happy without me? Was she going out to go meet someone else?
I knew I couldn't just stay in my room and think about this. So I texted back Gabi:
I'm free. Can I come over?
She texted me back saying sure, and I grabbed my bag and headed over, not even caring that I was just in joggers and a sweatshirt.
"Where are you going?" Kylie asked me as I headed out. She was in the living room.
"Out." I simply answered, "I'll be back later."
On my way out to my car I saw Ava posted another selfie with Tony. This time I didn't even care that I had clicked on the story seconds after she posted it.
I drove over to Gabi's- my sister's old apartment- feeling jittery and anxious. I didn't even remember driving there after I parked, I was so on edge.
Gabi answered the door in a tank top that was cropped and sweatpants that were cuffed. Her toned stomach was showing.
"Are you okay?" she asked me as I walked in. "You seem on edge."
"I am on edge." I said.
"Want some weed?" she asked me.
"Aren't you supposed to be sober?" I asked.
Gabi rolled her eyes, "From coke. Weed isn't a problem for me."
"Whatever you say."
"Come sit on the couch. Why are you all on edge?" Gabi led me over to the couch where she sat. There was a bong on the floor.
"So much is happening." I said. First I told her about how I got arrested. She seemed impressed.
"I've been arrested for assault also. But a felony charge. As well as drug charges. You're lucky yours is getting expunged. I'll be a felon for life." she said.
"How long have you actually been in prison for?" I asked her.
"Let me think. In total...close to two years." Gabi said, "I was in for a year for drug charges. Then 90 days for breaking probation. And another 6 months or so for assault charges."
"That fucking sucks." I said.
"You know it. I'm never letting myself go back, that's for fucking sure." Gabi said.
I then proceeded to tell her about Ava. I kept checking to see if she had posted any more stories- she hadn't. Which in some ways made me wonder more about what she was doing.
"That's a shame." Gabi said, "It seems she she really does love you."
"You think so?"
"Yeah. I mean, she denied fucking me." Gabi laughed and winked at me.
"What, and you're the end all be all? Does everyone want you or something?" I chuckled.
"You tell me. You're basically single now. Do you want me?" Gabi asked.
"Well that got flirtatious really fast." I said.
"I'm straightforward."
"Look, you're an attractive woman, Gabi." I said, "But I can't do that to Ava."
"Maybe if you're actually single one day." Gabi winked at me again.
"No offense, but I hope that doesn't happen." I said.
"Even though you've denied me a few times, which is basically unheard of- you're cool, Josephine. We can hangout as much as you'd like. Especially since I know right now things might be a bit lonely for you." Gabi said.
"Thanks." I smiled gratefully at her. "I think I'll take you up on that."
"Good." Gabi said, "I wonder what April would think- of us being friends."
"She'd probably tell me to avoid you at all costs." I laughed.
"Hey, who knows. Our friendship could come in handy one day. I'm pretty useful to have as a friend." Gabi said.
I wondered what she meant by that for a moment. But she interrupted my thoughts. "Domino's or Papa John's? I'm in the mood for pizza."
"Domino's." I said.
I looked at my phone again to see if Ava texted me. Nothing.
My heart felt hollow.