Chapter five - Trust Fall

"Who are you?" Adrien finally asked.

"Marinette, last name unknown, Agent 1492058, code name: Siren." She said blatantly, her answer sounded like she had read it word for word, and maybe she had.

Adrien seemed a little disappointed in her answer. Last name unknown? Agent? Code name? Siren? He had heard the woman from the bracelet call her Siren, but what did it mean? Her answer had only left him with more questions.

"Your name is Marinette?" He asked again. She nodded in response. "Okay um..." Adrien began. "If you're not working for Akuma, then who do you work for?" Marinette's gaze was locked on the deserted road ahead of her.

"GUARD, that stands for Government, Undercover, Agents, Remade, Division." She answered calmly, almost like they hadn't been shot at a few moments ago. Adrien nodded in understanding despite the fact he didn't understand at all.

"Okay, so you're one of the good guys?" He asked. Marinette was quiet for a moment.

"I work for good people, that doesn't mean I am one." She didn't say it menacingly but with a twinge of self doubt as if she didn't believe she was a decent human being, which Adrien didn't believe to be true.

"You saved me didn't you?" He responded, trying to persuade her. She sighed.

"Technically yes." She commented.

"Then you're a good person as far as I see." Adrien retorted.

"One good act doesn't make me good, besides you hardly know me." Adrien shrugged at her response.

"I know you saved my life," Marinette rolled her eyes, obviously irritated and tired of arguing.

"Next question." Marinette uttered, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Okay, okay," Adrien said in an attempt to calm the tension. He took a moment to think about what to ask next as he rubbed his right cheek. He bit the inside of his mouth when he fell on the concrete. The iron-like taste of blood had diminished but the flesh of his mouth was still raw.

"That bracelet-" He began to say.

"It's a commlink, allows me to communicate with my associate at GUARD." Marinette interrupted, pointless questions seemed to rub her the wrong way.

"Alright," Adrien sorted through his thoughts again. "You said your last name was 'unknown', do you mean classified?" She shook her head.

"No, I mean I don't know my last name." Adrien was puzzled.

"You don't know your own last name?" She glared at him through the corner of her eye.

"Next question."

"Okay, I won't ask about the last name." The blonde said defensively then continued his line of questioning. "Got any family?" Marinette's expression stayed cold and unchanging.

"Maybe." She answered, her tone didn't sound as if she was answering indifferently but suggested that she genuinely didn't know the answer to Adrien's question.

"Maybe?" Adrien repeated.

"Next question." Marinette said coldly.

"Note to self don't ask about family or the last name." The green eyed boy retorted.

"Look blondie, I don't mean to be rude but I don't know." Marinette said combatively, her annoyance clearly evident. And she wasn't the only one starting to lose patience.

"What do you mean, You don't know? How do you forget your family and your last name?"

She didn't answer and a blanket of silence surrounded them. They said nothing for a long moment, finally Adrien gave in. "I'm sorry, I won't ask again." The blunette nodded.