Chapter nineteen - Human Zoo

Marinette and Adrien waited in the white room for the three familiar figures to appear through the doorway and give them their assignment. Adrien was overflowing with curiosity and nervousness. There was a mountain of questions piled up in his mind that he was dying to ask but he had to wait until the three founders of GUARD came to give him answers. His leg was bouncing up and down with excitement and worry as he sat patiently behind the white table.

At one point Marinette grew irritated by the sound of his heel continuously tapping the floorboards, the rhythmic clap of rubber soles on vinyl was making it impossible to think. Her mind was occupied with thoughts of commotion. She was buzzing with happiness at the thought of Adrien coming along with her, missions were such a huge part of her life and she was glad to share it with him, but she was also bothered with uneasiness. The last time Adrien accompanied her he was shot in the shoulder and was still recovering, even after three months had passed since the shooting, she was worried that an even worse fate could entrap him.

Adrien's bouncing leg became an incredibly annoying tick, but she understood he was probably anxious. She gently placed her hand on his pulsing knee and flashed him one of her scarce smiles to show she didn't mean offense. He smiled back and the bouncing leg ceased its movement.

Adrien's mind was instantly put at ease by Marinette's grin. It was an extraordinary sight, he knew, and each time he saw it he appreciated it more. Seeing her smile was like seeing a rare bird fly overhead but you only witness the sight for a moment before its beautiful wings are lost in the thicket of trees. Adrien was determined to remember her smile forever.

At that moment Plagg popped his head into the room and looked at them quizzically. "What are you two love birds doing in here?" He asked, his statement earning him a look that could kill from Marinette while Adrien just looked confused at the tall husky man. "C'mon, Tikki needs us in The Closet." He said while ushering them out the door.

"What's The Closet?" Adrien asked no one in particular but received no answer, only Plagg's hand on the two young people's shoulders, urging them forward. The three of them took a lift a few floors up until the earth's surface was only a few meters overhead. Marinette had explained to Adrien that all of the less essential rooms and compartments were built near the top of the facility in case of bombing or attack, everyone would be evacuated to the lowest levels and all of the dorms, weapons, patients in the med bay, and food rations were safe under a mountain of dirt while the things near the surface were left to take the full effect of whatever was dropped on them. It seemed like a smart strategy, protecting the necessities and The Closet wasn't a necessity.

They walked through the white hallways until they found a door labeled "The Closet". Adrien was the last to emerge through the door but as soon as he entered the room he was met with an explosion of color.

The room was more like an auditorium in size, with high ceilings, shelves and racks, mannequins, and displays covering every corner of the large expanse. Wool, batik, cotton, silk, kente, and linen blanketed every centimeter like thick colorful curtains, and out of those curtains appeared two figures.

The first was a skinny man in a crimson blazer that paired well with his red hair that sucked upon his head like spikes on a mace. His eyes were so golden they could be mistaken for yellow, making him look like a dragon or snake. But his smile showed he lacked fangs and was not venomous in any way. He is just as bizarre as the others, Adrien thought without unkind intentions, he found the strange-looking people rather fascinating.

Behind the man in red was a woman, rather short despite her long legs, wide in size, with green eyes, a long nose, and a main that came in streaks of chocolate brown and cream. Even with her lengthy legs, she struggled to keep pace with the golden-eyed man who was walking rather quickly in their direction.