Terror of the Terrafirmians

"Oh man, that is classic cinema."

"So good."

Webby, Lena, Beakley, LP, the triplets, and I were walking out of the theatre having just seen The Beast.

"Oh, and remember when the surgeon tried to cut the mole-woman in half," Lena said, "and she multiplied into a million mole-babies and ate him? Roar!"

"You said this was an educational film, suitable for all ages," Beakley said to Lena.

"Uh, it's a cautionary tale about the dangers of mole monsters," Lena said. "And everyone could use a lesson on chainsaw safety."

"Lame," Louie said. "Where was the drama, the heart, the needlessly expensive car crash mayhem?"

"Yeah, I'm more into fantasy than horror," I said.

"Even if mole-man did exist, why attack someone in the shower?" Huey said. "With the water running there wouldn't be enough traction to attack anyone above the knee. Totally phony."

"What is with you guys? It says right on the poster, 'based on an actual true novel.' " Webby gestured to the posture.

"This is the only book I trust." Huey pulled out the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook. "If it's not in the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook, then it's not a thing."

"What about were-ducks?" Webby said.

"Nope."

"Trifoxes?"

"Not a thing?"

"Solego's circuit?" I asked.

"No?" He said it like a question.

"Ok, then."

"Woah, what about the legendary Terra-firmians of Duckberg?" Webby said,

"Let's see," Huey started flipping through his JWD, "pterodactyl, terror-dactyl, terrible twos, nope no terra-firmians. Must not exist."

I turned to Lena. "If that's in alphabetical order, why is p-terodactyl in with the Ts?" She snickered.

"Haha, what?" Webby laughed. "Terra-firmians, the mythical underground race that live below our very city?"

"No, that's ridiculous," Huey said.

"No, you're ridiculous."

"Children, children, there's an easy way to settle this," Lena put her arms around Huey and Webby. "Let's go find them ourselves." They started walking to the subway station.

"Lena, we're the same age!" I said running after them.

We walked down the stairs into the subway station, but Huey stopped us when we got to the bottom. "Wait," he said, "shouldn't we tell someone where we're going before we blindly explore a network of dark and abandoned subway tunnels?" We called up the stairs too quietly for anyone to actually hear.

"We're heading down."

"We'll be fine."

"Just looking for something."

"Don't wait up."

"Much better."

We jumped down onto the tracks and followed them down the tunnel until we came to a split in the tracks. The way going straight was blocked off with a sign that said, 'CLOSED FOR RENOVATION.'

"Now what's behind here?" Lena said, pushing the sign out of the way.

"The old 818 train line," Webby said, "famous for terra-firmian sightings. That's why it's closed off."