6/12/2021

hey y'all!! i'm completely overwhelmed with the amount of love this and "russian roulette" have been getting since i posted the first chapter. however, i need to address something.

i am in no way using this to make anyone feel bad, but i feel like i should saying something. originally in a different fanfic i wrote, "girl crush; MADISON BEER", it was brought to my attention by someone in the comments when i used a meme of simon in love, simon with the term "gay panic" as the caption. the person politely told me why this was problematic and i changed the meme to something else. i sincerely apologize for using this meme without knowing the meaning behind the phrase.

the term "gay panic" is used as a defense strategy to, for lack of a better term, deem it okay for a defendant to harm/kill a victim because of their sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, etc. basically saying that it is okay for someone to harm someone because they're gay. **

i feel that anyone who has commented something along the lines of this phrase meant no harm. i know that many phrases have been reclaimed within the lgbtqia+ community such as "queer", but i personally do not feel comfortable with having this connected to my writing.

i will be deleting any past comments that contain any phrasing of "gay panic" in it and any further comments.

thank you.

** the article i pulled this definition from:
https://lgbtbar.org/programs/advocacy/gay-trans-panic-defense/