𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

author's note

GODO MORNING EVERYONE
GOD HAS LET ME LIVE ANOTHER DAY AND I'M ABOUT TO MAKE IT EVERYONE'S PROBLEM

SO BUCKLE UP

'*;,.:・★ ★・:.,;*'

the rest of the week flies by in a sequence of sporadic moments of olivia being obsessed with me. we naturally grew closer over the entirety of the week because she would not leave me alone.

i'm unpacking a box of chocolate candy when elijah walks into the concession stand building. i wave at him enthusiastically and he waved back with the same out amount of enthusiasm.

we catch up by talking about our shared interests of shows and music when the thought randomly pops up in my head.

"oh my god, elijah! olivia told me the craziest thing about a dream she had." i tell him excitedly as i begin restocking the fridge with sodas.

"she said i was in her dream. i had a car and she really needed me to pick her up from some bad guys and —" i recall the conversation i had with olivia over facetime yesterday night.

"and she just texted me. look." elijah gives me his phone.

ೃ⁀➷

7:14 ➤    📶 LTE 88%

⚪️
liv!!!

waiting for aidan to pick me up

pick me up

you look so good

have fun!

ೃ⁀➷

"uh, eli. who's aidan?" i pry, trying to get info from him.

"the guy who's taking olivia out on a date." he says plainly like it's obvious.

"a date?" i drop the can in my other hand.

"did she not tell you?"

"no." i give him back his phone and reach down to pick up the damaged can.

"oh. sorry. i thought she did." elijah replies awkwardly. "i just assumed she did because she talks to you a lot."

"not enough apparently." i grumble and take a dollar out of my wallet to buy the soda can. i put the dollar in our donation jar to go towards one of the clubs i'm in.

"maybe she wanted to wait to tell you?" elijah offers, but it's no good as i let the soda fizz out onto my clothes.

"but she told you." i respond as i take a sip of the soda. it's still good somehow.

"she tells me everything —" i put my hand up to his face.

"don't talk to me right now." i chug the rest of the soda and crush the can in my hand.

elijah walks over to me and takes the crushed cab out of my hand.

"don't hurt yourself, okay."

"not a man telling me what to do."

"indiana —"

"i'm joking!" i tell elijah as he crosses his arms, clearly unimpressed.

i open my phone and pretend to text something. "hey, i actually have to go now. sorry, but i'll see you around."

"yeah. i'll see you soon. have a safe drive. i can take it from here." elijah shoots me his prettiest smile and i wink at him.

i adjust the straps on my backpack as i walk towards the parking lot. i put my airpods in and listen to my music when i start tearing up.

"what the fuck?" i whisper as i wipe the tears from my eyes. i tilt my head back so the tears don't continue falling and i walk faster to the parking lot. i don't want anyone to see me right now, especially a teacher who will ask me what's wrong.

i finally get to the parking lot and i drop my backpack to the gravel floor and dig in my back pocket to get my phone out. i feel a piece of paper fall out as i'm grabbing my phone. i turn around and bend down to pick up the pale pink sticky note that's addressed to me.

┌─────── ───────┐

hey indie,
love u 2 hehe

do you want a jolly rancher?

[yes]                        [no u freak]

also what time do we leave?

└───────       ───────┘

i feel the hot, stupid tears roll down my face. i have to sit down to ground myself. literally.

i laugh as i sit down because i feel so stupid crying. i keep wiping tears that keep getting replaced with fresh tears. i refold the note with shaky hands and put the note at the bottom of my backpack.

i open my snapchat and take a look at myself. i pose for a selfie and begin crying harder because of how i look.

"what is wrong with you, indiana?" i mumble to myself as i put turn the music up on my phone.

i sit criss-cross applause, next to my backpack, and bring my knees up to my chest and hide my face.

i feel like such a loser.