Chapter 1 | First Day

Song - Send My Love (To Your New Lover) by Adele

I'll probably go back and rewrite all of this one day, but for now this is what you get (:

Also, it feels good getting to write a story set near my home (Although I don't live in Gulf Breeze, I drive through it on my way to work and such)

***

 "So I'll pick you up after school around four, is that okay?"

My mother pulls into the school parking lot, finding a place in the line of cars waiting to drop off students. It's not my first day of high school, but it is the first day of my Junior year. Looking back, it seems crazy to me that I'm in the eleventh grade, yet here I am.

"Yeah, that sounds good," I say, trying to keep too much emotion from entering my tone.

Mom looks at me with a smile on her face. "Are you excited?" She asks. I can't help but smile back.

"Totally. I feel like I haven't seen everyone in forever," I say. I can barely contain myself. I'm not a big social person, but the friends I do have are my favorite people in the world.

Mom lets out a laugh, the lines in her face deepening. "You saw Grant, Greyson, and Miranda just yesterday."

It's true, but I'm practically shaking in my seat with anticipation. "I know, but I get to see some of my other friends, too."

"Okay, well, do you have everything you need? Do you have your schedule?" Mom asks.

I pat my jeans pocket, where my schedule is folded up. I've already memorized it and know where most of my classrooms are. My homeroom is with Ms. Delecroix in room 119.

"Yep-" We're at the front of the line, and I unbuckle my seatbelt. "-gotta go Mom. I'll see you later," I say, opening the car door. Before I can head off, however, Mom leans over and grabs my arm.

"Parker James Colbert, I hope you aren't about to leave without saying "I love you" to your mom."

I roll my eyes. "Mom, I'm going to be late," I say. She doesn't budge, and even raises her eyebrow at me. With a sigh, I give in to her demands. "I love you."

"I love you, too, hon," Mom says. I hop out of the car, and head out of the parking lot to the high school building. It's hot and humid out, but I'm used to it.

In the town of Gulf Breeze, Florida, the high school, middle school, and elementary school are all next to each other. It's not a big town, with about sixty-five hundred residents, but it's been my home for my entire life. I know the entire town like the back of my hand, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

If you ignore the hurricanes and alligators, it's paradise.

Heading inside, I see the hallway is filled with people getting to their homerooms. I know where mine is, since I had Ms. Delecroix for Geometry my Freshman year.

Walking through the building, I quickly get to my homeroom and am elated to find that my best friend Grant is also in my class. We've known each other since fifth grade, but I've known his brother Greyson longer. Grant was adopted into Greyson's family when he was ten, and the three of us have been inseparable since.

Sliding into the desk next to Grant, I set my bag down and pull out a pair of sunglasses. Grant hasn't noticed that I'm here yet, so I place the sunglasses on his desk, hoping he'll notice. He doesn't; he's too busy looking at his phone.

"You know, it seems like ever since you've started going out with Yasmine, you've been glued to your phone," I say.

Grant looks at me, genuinely surprised. "Parker! Hey, didn't see you there. Yeah, I guess, but I really like her," he says. They've only been going out for a week, but Grant has had a crush on Yasmine since he first moved here.