5

Morgan feels horrible.

His own nervousness is projecting on Spencer and the kid is crying horribly in his arms while he walks up and down the bullpen with him. A hand on the back of Spencer's head while the kid hides against his neck, clutching Captain Tony between them.

Eventually he walks out of the bullpen down the more quiet parts of the building and eventually settles on the hallway on which JJ's office is.

Walking up and down, waiting for Spencer to calm down, JJ looks at them in sympathy through the office window and eventually Spencer's sobs turn into sniffles and the chewie finds it's way back into his mouth and he gets more in more quiet until he falls asleep and Morgan walks up and down a couple more times until he is sure that kid is as far gone as possible and then enters her office.

"What happened?" JJ asks quietly.

"I don't know, probably the stress and his mom."

"His mom?"

"She works as a detective. She was shot last night on duty and now is in the hospital. She hasn't woken up yet."

"Oh I am- I am sorry. I didn't know."

"They were pretty sure last night that she will be fine."

"Did you tell Hotch? I am sure he would let you be with her."

"Her family is with her, we are not a couple, I just wanted to be here to distract myself." She smiles fondly at the boy in Morgan's lap. "And him but that didn't work so well."

"You have been here all morning and he was fine. I think you did pretty good with distracting him."

"He had asked at least a million times before. Madeline took him to the station a couple of times and he always wanted to see the FBI and now we are here because of this, not because I took the time."

"A six year old who is interested in paperwork and seeing the FBI. I think he is gonna be someone really special. Kinda reminds me off G-"

"Don't say it."

"He would adore him." With a fond smile she looks at Spencer. "Hotch is adoring him too, I don't think I have ever seen him smile like this if there aren't children involved."

"That man nearly adopted my son on the spot this morning."

"Who could blame him?" They actually get that a lot and Morgan had never imagined himself being the one crying over how adorable someone is until Spencer was laying in his bed next to Madeline's, smiling in his sleep, and moving his tiny little hands until they grabbed Morgan's.

If he is honest with himself there are a lot of times were he was close to just breaking down in tears when it comes to Spencer. He loves his son with every inch of his heart which is probably why it sometimes hurts so much to not know how to help him.

"I would say I would keep going but I am not risking waking him up." Morgan jokes adjusting him in his arms, if he spend a little bit more time in there with JJ she wouldn't complain.

They were just about to pack everything up for the day when Morgan gets the phone call from Madeline's mother that she had been awake for a couple of minutes and then got a seizure and is about to be brought back into surgery.

"Mommy?" Spencer reaches up to Morgan's arm sitting in a chair in the conference room were they discussed a new case they will be working from here. Spencer had taken his headphones off when he saw Morgan picking up the call. "Mommy?" He asks again making grabby hands.

"That was your grandmother."

"Mommy?"

"Your Mum will need more time to heal but we will drive to her in a few minutes okay?"

"Mommy?"

"Yeah." Morgan puts his files on one stack and then gets another phone call. "Did something happen?"

"You maybe want to come down here. The surgery is scheduled back, but she would really like to see Spencer and you before she goes in."

"We will be there." He knows what it means. He knows that this means that the surgery has risks that needed to discussed first. He knows that this means she wants to see her son before she goes in just in case she doesn't come out again."We will drive and see Mommy now."

"You won't drive anywhere. I will." Emily says grabbing her jacket.

"We are fine."

"I won't discuss this with you."

"Mommy now?"

"Yeah, Mommy now." Morgan picks up Spencer not wanting to spend time on having him walk and then rushing out behind Emily.

"So that was a strange day." Rossi says as they watch them rush out of the bullpen.

"Let's just hope it stays at strange."

"You need to be really careful okay? Mommy is hurt and you have to be gentle with her."

"Mommy" Spencer says pointing at the hospital room Morgan told him she would be in.

"Gently okay?" Emily nods encouraging but then stays back, giving them time. She watches Morgan look at Madeline through the window in the door for a moment and then steps in. He trusts Mad that she knows what's okay for Spencer and that he can handle this. "There she is"

Both her mother and father as well as she turn their heads to them and Morgan walks over giving Spencer time to scan the room. "What are you doing, women?" She smiles weakly and then moves a few fingers up. "You sure?"

"Please" Madeline whispers and Morgan sits Spencer down next to her on the bed. "Hey baby" He seems lost what to do but eventually he leans down on her stomach,very slow, very gently.

"Is that okay?" Morgan asks worried hovering over Spencer to take him off any minute but she nods her head a tear running down her cheek.

"Honey careful." Her mother says when she tries pulling him up more.

"Give Mommy a kiss." Morgan carefully puts a hand between his son and Madeline when Spencer moves up leaning down to give her a kiss and then Morgan takes him off the bed again. "Say bye-bye, Mommy has to rest now."

"Bye bye" He waves her and then gives her an air kiss and Morgan breathes in deep once trying to stop the tears on his face. "Bye bye Mommy" She laughs at him through her tears and moves her hand up to a little bit for a wave. "Mommy bye bye?" Spencer asks his father who nods.

"I'll be right back" He tells the others in the room and walks out with Spencer towards Emily. "Can you stay with Emily for a second? I need to have an adult conversation with Mom."

"Mommy bye bye?"

"Just for a moment okay?" The boy looked up to him but then followes Emily over to the chairs were she sits down and the boy comes closer, hesitantly placing his hands on her knees rocking back and forth on his heels until he eventually asks the question that has been bugging him.

"Do you know what a gun shot wound feels like?" Emily was caught off guard by the question but then quickly made up her mind on what to answer.

"Yeah" She lies and then places her hand on his. "And I promise you your Mommy is not feeling much pain right now. It's more like a little pinch. Just like that" She pokes his stomach ones making him look at her confused but then she does it again and again and eventually the waiting area is filled with his laughter.