Geisha's Night

On a rare, quiet afternoon, Hajime and the rest of his team were called for a meeting. According to Harada, someone named Sen had come by the headquarters, in search of the Shinsengumi.

They took their seats around the room. Hajime nodded to Harada, who waved a hand in response. Souji leaned against the wall, looking exhausted. Heisuke and Shinpachi sat by Chizuru, who smiled at Hajime, her eyes then flickering to Souji. Saitou sat quietly in a corner. If you weren't searching for him, you wouldn't even know he was there. A flicker of a shadow next to Saitou indicated Yamazaki's presence.

Sen sat in the center, facing Hijikata and Kondou. She threw a sideways glance at Chizuru, who smiled in response, leaving Hajime to wonder if they were acquaintances.

"We don't usually allow visitors, but I hear you had something important to tell us?" asked Hijikata, his violet eyes fixed on Sen.

Sen straightened, matching his gaze. "I heard from a Geisha acquaintance of mine, that there have been rogue samurai in Shimabara. They've been discussing how to attack your headquarters."

Saitou looked up at this, and then turned to face Hijikata. Kakeru and Koi leaned against the wall simultaneously.

Kondou glanced at Hijikata. "Toshi, what do you think?"

Hijikata sighed as he looked around. "I've heard about this too, but the area makes it difficult to attack or gather information. It would be easier if we could get a spy in."

A sudden flicker of realization crossed his face, as he turned to Chizuru, as did the rest of them. Chizuru looked around. "Huh?"

"It's not safe for a girl at Shimabara," said Kai, drawing with his finger on the floor. "Even worse for the Geishas."

"True. Chizuru could easily get attacked, and she's not much of a fighter," supplied Aoi, as Chizuru gave them both a quick look of thanks.

"Is there anyone else who could then?" asked Hijikata, looking around. Gravi and Procella collectively looked at Yoru, whose eyes widened.

"No way!" he said, shaking his head.

"You played a pretty good cheerleader back then," reminisced You. "And you're smart enough to avoid conflict."

"I'm going to regret this," sighed Yoru. He threw You a dirty glare. "You just want to see me in a dress, don't you?"

You smiled and shrugged. He gave Hajime a quick glance, a silent decision passing between them.

"You and I will work at Shimabara then. In case anything happens, we want to get Yoru out of there." Hajime sighed. "And here I was trying to keep You out of the red-light district."

You ducked to hide his smile.

"No one invited me to Shimabara," whined Arata, shutting up when Hajime threw him a glare.

"Yamazaki and I will help as well," said Saitou, as Yamazaki—in his ninja getup—nodded his consent. Hajime gave Saitou a quick look of thanks.

"Come meet us at Shimabara then. We'll get Yoru dressed up," said Sen, giving Yoru an appraising look on her way out. Yoru smiled nervously.

Shun waved a cheerful goodbye, as the five of them were leaving for Shimabara. Kai looked exasperated at Shun's cheerfulness. Iku and Rui both wished Yoru good luck, to which Yoru automatically said thanks.

"We'll drop by Shimabara later!" yelled Harada. Yoru waved a hand, which Hajime knew meant 'Please don't,' and which Harada probably took as 'Sure.'

They split up, as Yoru left to get his makeup done.

"You could easily pass for a girl," said Sen, as Kimigiku tightened the bow on Yoru's kimono.