Demon's Illness

Chizuru was bringing dinner to Souji, her footsteps quiet on the wood of the corridor. Hajime smiled at her, before he wandered the other way, probably searching for someone.

Chizuru had heard a lot about Six Gravity and Procellarum. Their rise to fame wasn't overnight, but gradual, from one fan to ten to thousands and millions. But she knew they deserved it, because they were hard-workers, with lovely voices and impeccable dancing skills. She knew they were desperate to get home.

She was worried about Souji. Hijikata hadn't allowed Souji to go patrolling, or even train at all, and she knew Souji took it personally. Hijikata was worried about Souji, and this was how he showed it.

She reached Souji's door, but stopped when she heard another person's voice from within.

"If you take the Ochimizu, you will be cured of your illness," she heard them say. She wondered who it was and why they knew of Souji's illness. Ochimizu... wasn't that just another name for the medicine made by Chizuru's father? "Chizuru told me about your illness," they said.

Chizuru put the tray down and stepped into the room, "I did not."

The person, startled, turned around. Her face was a mirror image of Chizuru's. Chizuru had a vague recollection of meeting her when she had gone on patrol with Souji, so long ago. If memory served, this woman was Kaoru Nagumo.

Souji waved a hand to her with a smile. "Your self-proclaimed twin sister says you broke our promise. Should I kill you?"

Chizuru gave him a dry look. "I never promised. I asked you whether you were suffering from tuberculosis, to which you answered yes and told me not to tell anyone. I never said I wouldn't." Chizuru looked to the other person, Kaoru, her eyes filled with mistrust. "But I definitely didn't tell her."

Kaoru smiled and stood up, disappearing as she stepped past the door.

"I wish they'd stop doing that," muttered Chizuru, as she looked to Souji, who was contemplating the bottle. "Don't you dare."

He looked up innocently. "What?"

"Don't take the medicine."

"She said it would cure me."

"And you're going to believe her? What if it doesn't? Either way, you'll just quicken your death."

Souji's eyes darkened. "I can't even pick up my sword, much less swing it. At least this way, I'll be of use to the Shinsengumi," he said.

"Did it ever occur to you how it would kill me?" Chizuru said softly. "The way you want to throw your life away like it's nothing?"

"What's it to you?" Souji snapped, picking up the bottle.

"I love you, idiot."

Souji froze for a second, but that didn't deter him. He gave her a sad smile, as he made to open the bottle. Chizuru, outraged, grabbed the bottle, wrenching it from his grasp. She didn't know what came over her as she poured the contents down her own throat, Souji watching in horror.

At first, she didn't feel any different, leaving her to wonder whether it was a scam. Then the pain flared through her as she collapsed, breathing heavily.

"Chizuru!" yelled Souji, sending Hajime running to the scene. One glance at the bottle and at Chizuru and he understood what happened.

Chizuru's hair was alternating between brown and white, like a badly made traffic signal. Kakeru came running behind Hajime.

"Find Sen," said Hajime, not sure who else he could turn to now. "Get her over here." Kakeru nodded, dashing out the door.

Chizuru opened her eyes, her breathing still unsteady. Hajime gave her a hard look. "Are you an idiot?"