[11] TRINIDADIAN FLOWERS

'sometimes the things that are felt the most are expressed between two souls over the distance and over time...where no words abide'

Working on the town play certainly became much more of a challenge as the days went on

Working on the town play certainly became much more of a challenge as the days went on. With Cole breaking his wrist due to an 'accident' caused by Billy, the painting job was set back by a little. Cole still got help from Aurelie, Anne, Moody, and Diana, along with most of the other girls from the class that were working on the play.

However, today was Christmas Eve, so no one was destined to be working on that day. Aurelie had no idea that her mother would be inviting guests, and she certainly did not expect those guests to be the ones who knocked her door that evening.

Aurelie, who was not dressed for the occasion, slowly pulled open the door. Her eyes widened the second she saw them. "Gilbert." She gasped. She turned to the man beside him, who she didn't recognize. She assumed it was Sebastian. She pursed her lips, exhaling deeply.

"And you must be...Sebastian." She spoke hesitantly. He was a tall man with dark skin. Though this was unusual in Avonlea, that was certainly not the reason she was alarmed. She looked down at her clothes in embarrassment. She wore her father's old trousers and shirt. This was not a perfect first impression to make on Sebastian, who she only met just now.

"Please, call me Bash. It's a pleasure." The man smiled. Aurelie did not step out of the way to allow the guests inside until her mother ran down. "Aura! Let the guests in please. They must be freezing!" She ordered. 

"Oh--yes! I'm so sorry." Aurelie moved. Sebastian and Gilbert made their way inside, studying their surroundings.

"Merry Christmas to you both!" Alice added as she rushed to get the table set. It seemed that even she forgot she had invited them until only a few minutes before they arrived. Aurelie understood now why Alice was all over the place while her daughter was simply reading on the couch. She only wished she was informed of this.

"And to you." Gilbert nodded. Aurelie glared at her mother, who sighed. 

"Oh, what a lovely home." Commented Sebastian with a smile. "Nice and warm." He looked to Gilbert after sparing a glance at the fire place. Gilbert scoffed.

 "Let me take your coats." Alice cut in, stepping in front of Sebastian. "Oh...uh...thank you." He began removing his extensive winter gear. As Alice went to hang the coats and hats, Sebastian interrupted. "Oh! I almost forgot." He stepped forward, pulling out a small bottle from his pocket. It had a yellow powder substance inside. He held it out to Alice.

"My, how very kind of you." Alice reached for the bottle. She was unsure of what it was, but did not want to be impolite. Aurelie glanced at Gilbert for a moment, who kept his attention on Alice and Sebastian.