[23] HE LOVES ME

'oversimplifying is the first grave mistake we make when confronted by complexity; overconfidence is the second'

"No! I can't possibly go to the fair with my hair like this!"

"Aura, relax. It looks beautiful." Alice attempted to reason with her daughter.

 "No, no, no." Aurelie paced the room stressfully. "If Gil-- If the entire town is going to be there, I am certainly not fit for the occasion."

Alice sighed. "Dean!" She called out. The man rushed inside the room. 

"What seems to be the problem?" He smiled. 

"She looks beautiful doesn't she?" Alice motioned towards her daughter. 

"Yes! Always!" Dean assured.

"I don't need his approval!" Aurelie shouted. She frustratedly took out her hair, leaving it tangled. She charged downstairs to fetch one of her straw hats, but heard a knock at the door.

She groaned, aggressively pulling it open. "What?" She asked, before looking to see who it was. When she finally did, her eyes widened. 

"Gilbert." She pulled back her hair, backing away from the door, nearly tripping over a loose wood plank. Her arm swung around, throwing a metal pot to the floor, which made an extremely loud noise. All the while, Gilbert stood in silence, waiting to speak. Aurelie stiffened up, staring at the boy as if he were holding a knife up to her.

 "Is Dean home?" Gilbert inquired. Part of Aurelie hoped Gilbert was there to see her, but due to her current appearance, she was thankful he wasn't.

Aurelie clenched her jaw, crossing her arms. She did this as if to show she was still angry at him, even though she wasn't. She didn't know how else to act in his presence.

"I was hoping to borrow a pair of cufflinks." He explained. He eyed her appearance. "Have you...walked through a hurricane?" He raised his eyebrows.

 "Why did you come here?" Aurelie spoke. "There are other places with cufflinks."

"You're the closest, and I prefer not to take a...train...to get some." He raised his eyebrows. Aurelie pursed her lips, looking down at the floor. 

"Is everything alright? I heard a loud noise." Dean asked as he rushed down.

"Gilbert needs cufflinks!" Aurelie shouted, before running back upstairs.