[26] T-E-A-M

'the art of decision making includes the art of questioning'

The next morning, the newspaper team gathered in Anne's barn, painting letters onto the wooden planks Anne handed out

The next morning, the newspaper team gathered in Anne's barn, painting letters onto the wooden planks Anne handed out. They planned to write 'Freedom of speech is a human right' and stand up in front of the council. Of course, another brilliant plan from Anne.

Aurelie sat beside Moody, in front of Gilbert. Aurelie gave her mother quite the fright when she got home a day prior, soaking wet and cold. Still, she felt somewhat at peace. She did not know if she found the 'signal.' She didn't even know if it was real. She only knew that a weight had ben lifted off of her shoulders.

Regardless, she hadn't said a single word to Gilbert that morning. While they painted, Marilla came upstairs and offered everyone a few scones she had baked. Aurelie took one with a smile, thanking the woman. Moody did so as well, but only thanked her after Aurelie reminded him with a nudge.

"Is it a 'W' or an 'R?'" Moody wondered, leaning in closer to Aurelie to see what she was doing. "It's a W--no R." She replied. 

"W or R?" Moody repeated, confused. "R. It's an R. There isn't even supposed to be a W." She confirmed.

Moody pulled the paint brush from his can. He brought it towards the plank, accidentally brushing it over Aurelie's hand. She huffed. She glared at the boy, who was unaware of his mistake. She cleared her throat. Moody turned to her. "What?"

She held up her hand with an unamused expression. Moody chuckled, turning away. Aurelie scoffed, looking towards Gilbert, who couldn't help but laugh as well. 

"Oh, so you find this funny now?" She raised her eyebrows.

"No--No." Gilbert pursed his lips, holding back the laugh. He cleared his throat and crossed his arms. Aurelie huffed.

"Alright, everyone! Good work today!" Anne announced. "I will see you all tomorrow and don't be late!" She reminded. Everyone stood up, beginning to pile out of the barn.

Aurelie reached down to pick up a can of paint, but did so at the same time as Gilbert. The two looked up at each other. They both let go of the can, standing up straight.

"Oh--"

"Sorry--"

They stared into each other's eyes for a moment longer, frozen in place. Aurelie reached up to scratch her nose, failing to remember her hand was covered in paint.

"Oh--uh...you...you have paint on your--" Gilbert stammered.

 "Oh--" Aurelie raised her hand to her face.