[28] I LOVE HIM

'both the art of intuition and the science of analytics have the role to play in making wise decisions'

Aurelie woke up early in the morning with a gasp. She had woken up from a dream where Gilbert proposed to her. She could barely remember her previous night, but the one thing she remembered clearly was how she felt when she saw Gilbert leave.

Quickly, she jumped out of bed, rummaging through her things in search of the note that Gilbert had given her along with the Trinidadian flower seeds during Christmas two years ago.

After a few moments of looking, she found it hidden under her unorganized bed. She read the dusty paper with a smile.

Trinidadian flowers that can survive in a green house during all seasons. Don't tell Bash I bought these because I wasn't supposed to stop during our trip. Merry Christmas. --Gilbert Blythe.

She chuckled. She hadn't thought back to how they used to be in a long time. She looked out her window at the greenhouse. Soon enough, her smile slowly fell in result of her confusion and worry.

She quickly rushed downstairs, calling out to her mother, stuffing the note in her pocket. When she made it down, she only saw Dean, reading a book on the sofa.

"Your mother left for Charlottetown." He stated. 

"What? Why so early?" Aurelie questioned. He hummed. "There was an issue at the bank, it seems." He shrugged. "Probably nothing serious."

Aurelie groaned. 

"Why, is there something I can help you with?" He set his book down on his lap. Aurelie wanted to say no, but in her moment of desperation, she accepted and the two took a stroll to the lake at noon once Dean was finished reading.

"Gilbert Blythe may have asked me if I loved him, and I believe I told him to marry someone else." Aurelie explained. 

"So, how do you feel about this... Gilbert Blythe?" Wondered Dean. Aurelie paused, her eyes widening.

"I don't know. I've never loved anyone like that before." She sighed. "He's the only person I think of in that way, but love? How am I supposed to know? And how am I to be confident saying, 'Sure, take option two,' when option one is all he wants for his future?" She questioned as they reached the large tree. They sat down against it.

"And what is this option one, exactly?" Interrupted Dean curiously. 

"A girl...whose father offers him a chance at a life he would never have had otherwise." Aurelie exhaled.