They don't know what happens around me.

Colors scrawled across the TV screen, a mess of an image if I ever did see one. But my bored expression did nothing to dissuade Wally and Robin from swinging the Wii Remotes around, trying to outdo each other in a mini game. 

Kaldur sat on the floor, a new pile of papers on his lap desk. Contentment, despite my boredom, rolled off of me in waves. My mind sung at there being an Atlantean, the same way it always did when Orin was around. The cup of water in my hands glowed. It stopped, and then it glowed again. I didn't know why I was doing it, just that I was doing it. 

As far as I could tell, we were the only ones present in the Cave: Artemis said she needed to move furniture for her mother, and Megan and Conner took Wolf for a walk. As relaxed as I was, I couldn't stop the deeper part of me searching for danger. The drip of the sink faucet was enough to spike my anxiety. The echoing of sounds down hallways had my hands tightening, knuckles going white. 

I wanted to get up and check the place out. To make sure there really wasn't someone else in here, but I was a healer. Someone who isn't supposed to be good at combat. If someone happened to break in, the other would, hopefully, try to keep me out of harms way. And if I went to check and ran into someone, I didn't know if I'd keep myself from kicking them into a wall. 

I took a deep drink of my water. "You know, Canary might actually kill you if she sees you doing those."

"What she does not know, will not harm her," said Kaldur, glancing at me. "And I trust you will not mention this?"

"If I do, it'll be in therapy, where she won't be able to act on it." 

Kaldur smiled, a slight upturn of the lips, before turning his attention back to the papers. "Thank you."

I hummed and settled back against the couch. Wally shouted victoriously. Robin smirked and hit play. 

"Welcome to your new hell, Wally. And I'm your personal demon."

And thus a new game began, with Robin doing so, so much better than he had the first time. I zoned out, letting myself relax in the gentle atmosphere. It was nice to be back on Earth. To have solid earth beneath my feet, and not worry about how Zeus would react if he found out I was technically in his domain. The line between sky and space is arbitrary in the scheme of things, and even if there was some bright yellow line separating the two, Zeus sits on the throne of the universe. Anything not on Earth, in the sea, or in the Underworld was his to command.

 And yet I was trying to deny that.

I shook my head, clearing that line of thought before it could progress. I hadn't meant for any of this to happen. There was no denial, just like there was no way Wally would make a comeback from the lead Robin had on him. A series of missteps and accidents, that's all this was.

That's all everything in my life was. Fuck, it's what I am. I ran a hand through my hair and blew out a breath.

"Ow! Dude, not cool," said Wally, voice distorted by the hand pinching his nose.

"You got into my blood circle."

"What is with you and this blood circle thing?"

I sighed and got up, water already hovering and glowing. "Let me see it." Wally dropped his hand from his nose. 

"It'll be fine, babe. I heal pretty- Cold!" He flinched back. I rolled my eyes and the glow strengthened. 

"It's ice water," I said. The blood washed away, tinting the water pink. The moment he was healed, I dropped the water. My fingers flexed, and I looked down at the puddle on the floor. "I'll go get--" The water glowed as Kaldur pressed a hand to it. 

"You are not the only one with water powers." The lightly glowing sphere settled into his hands. Kaldur dropped it into the cup before handing it to me. "And unlike my king, I can do this without the aid of a weapon."

"You say that like you don't have those weird things on your backpack."

"I did not finish my studies before becoming Aqualad. If I had, I would have no need for my waterbearers. As it stands, the little training I do have surpasses that of my king." 

I dumped the bloodied water into the sink, watching as it swirled down the drain. Part of me wondered what I could do if I visited Atlantis and asked Mera to train me. Sure, my powers were different, but there had to be something I could learn. 

Something I could do different to be a help to more people. I need to get better. If I go out in the field with them, it'll be more than my life on the line, and they aren't demigods. Even the two I could consider close, with their enhanced durability, they wouldn't know what to do if a monster shows up. 

Kaldur might actually, but that was beside the point. 

I wanted to keep them safe. But that wasn't an option. Not with the way I ended up here, or the role I put on my own shoulders. I'm nothing but a healer. Someone to keep in the back and keep covered. Protect the healer, because without the healer if you get hurt, you're going to stay hurt. 

I swallowed and ducked my head, moving towards my room instead of back to where the others were. My clothes were too tight, suffocating me with every breath I tried to take. And maybe it wasn't just the clothes. Maybe it was the stifling weight of my position. 

All of the Team's wellbeing rested on me, and somehow that was a heavier burden than that of the sky.

Hello

Goodbye

I'm tired and no idea where I'm going with this just take the chapter while I try to plot out some Dnd stuff

See yah