part two

[ TWO - Text Messages and Flirty Emoticons ]

Never did it occur to me that Niall would actually contact me again after I had given him my number. Surely after a week, I'd thrown away the thought of him, but they were brought back to mind when my phone alerted me the Friday of the week after.

I was sitting at my desk, peering over my work on the bright screen of my computer. My phone was nowhere to be seen when I heard the familiar strong bell of my text tone. I'd been working all day, paying no mind to any outside social or human contact.

I had to leave my chair and run about the room, searching for the lost and neglected cellular device. It was sitting on the counter of my bathroom. I guess I left it there this morning.

When I looked at the screen, I read a message from an unknown number:

"From: xxx-xxx-xxxx: hey , its niall ... hopefully you hadnt forgotten me already ! :D"

A little smile played on my lips as I brought my thumbs to type a reply.

"To Niall: of course not!! but hi :)" The message sent, and I stared at the screen for a second before I locked the phone and sat it on my desk.

I folded my hands together and popped my knuckles—an unhealthy habit of mine that I needed to quit—then proceeded to continue with the assignment on my screen. I was just a little bit away from completing it. That's another easy hundreds of dollars in just ten hours. I loved my job.

My phone sounded and there was a reply:

"From Niall: im glad . sry i took so long t txt you ,,ive been busy!"

I typed up a message back.

"To Niall: it's okay!" I wasn't sure what else to say, so I just sent that.

Before I could put the phone down, a bubble on his side of the chat appeared and displayed the loading sign, only meaning that he was typing a response. I watched it load for five seconds, then it was replaced by more words.

"From Niall: :) what's up ?"

I replied: "To Niall: nothing much, working on something. how about you?"

"From Niall: me too , just chillin. you know , when i met you  , i was rly surprised ."

I tensed in my seat, typing: "To Niall: why?"

"From Niall: because idk ,, i was too nervous to tell you in person , but i think you're very pretty."

I couldn't contain it, but blood rose to my cheeks and it caused me to smile.

He sent another message before I even made a move to type.

"From Niall: you there ??? i know you read that  , it says you did. am i moving too fast ? im sry :O"

"From Niall: i do think you're pretty tho ..."

"From Niall: but you already know that."

I chuckled at the rapid amount of messages that failed to disguise his emotions even over text. He was obviously sweating this out.

To settle his apprehension, I wrote back quickly.

"To Niall: thank you :)"

I stared at the screen for a minute, but it seemed that he was occupied as his loading bubble didn't pop up on his side. I remembered my computer screen and proceeded to return with my work. I only progressed for ten minutes when my phone rang again and I saw that Niall had sent another message.