part three

[ THREE - Art and The Best Burger Ever ]

It was a warm Wednesday, that day, when Niall made a new approach to our way of conversation. He and I had been texting endlessly every day, I counted, for two weeks and a few days more.

The things we talked about for that many amount of time could fall into two categories: Stupid, comical things and serious subjects. The stupid, comical things were just as the title; flirty teases and insignificant emoticons.

As for the serious subjects that occurred mostly at midnight when our minds were half asleep and the world seemed illogical, we conversed (and at times criticized) the ways of society and the nature of life.

These serious talks were never actually taken serious, for the reason that we were usually sleepy and just wanted something to talk about; nonetheless, the serious talks still mattered as much as anything else.

"From Niall: can i call you ??"

I read over the message I had received, raising my eyebrows from the request. I was in bed, laying comfortably and messaging this boy on routine. It was an hour before the usual time that we said goodnight and I was growing sleepy, but as I thought over the event of talking to him with actual vocal contact, I suddenly felt awake.

"To Niall: yeah!" I typed and sent, staring at the chat and waiting for what was to happen next.

The chat faded not even a minute after, a caller ID appearing on the screen and the phone ringing its assigned bell ringtone. Niall's name was displayed, waiting to be answered or rejected. Of course, I pressed the green button.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Niall and I had been talking for so many weeks, but actually, actually talking on the phone was a whole new world. We hadn't directly spoken to each other since the first time we met, so this... This was different.

"Hello?" A voice sounded, one so nice and Irish that it could belong to him and him only.

I giggled, for the reason I didn't know, but I did it and I couldn't take it back. "Hi."

"Wow... I," He exhaled a moment's breath. "Hi. I'm feelin' a liddle nervous, sorry."

"You're nervous?" I asked, almost blushing into my pillow. "Why?"

"I don' know," He chuckled. "It just happens with you, I guess."

I remained silent for a second, thinking of things that made my stomach turn and my chest feel indifferent. "Well," I finally breathed. "What are you doing?"

"As of now, talking tah you. As of all teh time, actually." He laughed and I did the same.

"Are you in bed?" He continued.

"Yep. You know my routine."

"Ha, I do. I don' know why I didn't just call ya before, ya know? It makes it easier... fer us tah talk, I mean."

"Yeah, I don't know why either." A smile crept on my face. "But we are now, so."

Niall took a breath on the other line. "Yes, it's definitely lovely. Talking tah you has been lovely."

"Likewise." I smiled involuntarily, blushing down at my lap.

"Anyway," Niall's voice picked up again. "I wanted tah call ya 'cause I didn't want me next question tah be said over text."

My attention was caught with that. "Okay."

"Um, well," The boy sputtered adorably. "Let me take ya out this Friday, Claire. Whaddya say? I'll take ya tah MoMA an' then we can see teh Statue of Liburdy togeddur. After tat, we'll get some great New York burgers an' do whatever else ya want. Yeh?"