part five

[ FIVE - Expecting The Unexpected ]

I was sitting on my couch in Niall's T-shirt, my laptop on my lap and my hair in a high bun. Niall wasn't set to come home for another half hour and I'd just finished another project, so I was trying to waste time.

On the screen of my laptop was a video; one that I'd filmed myself almost a month ago, of Niall with his guitar as he sat on my balcony. The sun was hitting him at a perfect angle and he looked better than anyone I ever thought could look. And when I pressed play, the Niall in the video laughed and narrowed his eyes just above the camera. He was giving me a look.

"D'ya have tah film me?" He said, his cheeks flushing a beet red.

I laughed behind the camera and remembered that I'd stuck my tongue out at him. "Yes! This is important, I have to have it so I can watch it again later!"

"Fine, fine." Niall muttered, shaking his head and focusing on his guitar.

I'd watched this video more than I can count anymore. Niall had finally finished the song he said he'd write about me (just in time for my birthday, I might add), so I took out my camera and recorded him. It was the best present I'd ever received. The song, as he said, was certainly upbeat, fun, and romantic. It had that sweet, underlying tone of Ed Sheeran's and a bit of The Kooks' edge.

Niall had titled it, Her Smile Lights Up The City.

I was singing along now, bobbing my head and watching Niall with so much fondness. He'd closed his eyes through the chorus and sang it so passionately. I was a mess behind the camera at the time and I was still a mess now, a month and a thousand plays later. The lyrics were basically ingrained in my brain.

The front door made its familiar beeping sound then. Someone was on the other side, entering the code on the keypad. The only other person that knew the code was Niall, so I paused the video and set the laptop beside me on the cushion. I hopped up and arrived at the front door just as he entered.

"I'm hooome!" He said, before I jumped on him, my arms around his neck.

"Welcome back," I murmured into his body. He smelled a bit like dried sweat and cologne.

Something odd rubbed against my leg and I looked below me to see what it was. My eyes practically bulged. Tightly in Niall's hand was the biggest bag of caramel popcorn. It was probably two pounds.

"Surprise!" He beamed, raising the bag in the air as if it were a trophy. "I got us dinner."

I laughed, "That is the best thing I have ever seen."

Niall chuckled too, handing me the bag so he can pull his shoes off. I just stared at the bag in my hands, mesmerized by the amount of heaven enclosed in the plastic packaging. I could probably eat that whole thing in one day. Not that I would, of course.

"How was work?" I cut my gaze from the bag.

Niall shook off his coat and I saw that there were snowflakes still lingering on the shoulders.

"Alright. Kinda long, though. I kept thinkin' about ya waitin' on me at home." He got closer and cupped my cheeks. "Kinda like a wife waitin' on me an' all. I liked thinking about that."

I just pressed my lips together and Niall leaned in to give me a quick peck.

"What were ya doin', by teh way? Ya look beautiful in me shirt." He said, grasping the bottom of the fabric. He turned his head, his attention caught by the bright laptop on the couch. He was still on the screen.

He looked at me again. "Missing me, I see."

Feeling guilty, I bowed my head and tried to hide. Niall just grabbed my sides and picked me up off of the floor, and together he led us to the couch, the bag of popcorn still in my grasp.