Chapter 17

Lydia's POV:

I set down the veggie-filled basket with a huff onto the dining table.

After checking up on my horse, and figuring that he was just fine out in that pasture by himself, Eren and I went to grab some of the fresh produce that was out for the community

Since with spring just starting, they were starting the process of planting crops for this season.

They just sat there, free for the community to take as they needed.

So after a quick stop at Eren's house, we gathered all that we needed and hiked back up to Luka's house.

Apparently, along the way, Eren decided that the four of us would be having lunch together. Which I didn't mind one bit.

I looked up to see her rummaging through the kitchen, grabbing and prepping certain items effortlessly from the cabinets and drawers.

She looked like she knew this place like the back of her hand.

"Do you guys eat with Luka often?" I asked.

"Oh yeah," She began, standing up on her toes to grab a pan from the cabinet above the stove, "At least once a day. He never admitted it, but he got lonely living in this house all by himself. So when he gets a break from all his 'alpha duties', Milo and I tend to hang around with him as our friend instead of as our Alpha."

All by himself?

I glanced at the stairs.

He lives alone in a house with five bedrooms...

Well, she did say it was modeled after his childhood home.

"I bet he appreciates it," I said.

"Ugh, he better," she scoffed sarcastically while turning and approaching the other side of the table that I was on, "Do you know how hard it is to try to forget about the wolf hierarchy for a sec when you're with an alpha and his beta?"

I shook my head, amused by this sudden complaint.

I had figured out that she was rarely serious, and poking fun at them was her way of showing affection.

She let out a huff, crossing her arms, "It never lasts long. Dumb boys and their advanced hormones or whatever. I can barely get through one peaceful lunch without one of them getting antsy and wolfing out unless they're already tired beforehand."

I leaned forward with a snicker, setting my arms on the back of one of the dining chairs. Meanwhile, noting down some things that she was saying in the back of my mind.

Any new little detail I could get about this species in general, as well as the differences Luka has as an alpha.

"What? Do they just have more energy than you do?" I shot back.

"Too much!" she declared, "Werewolves already have a shit ton of energy, only those two and especially Luka needs to spar with half the pack in BOTH forms and then run twenty miles around the pack just to sit down for lunch," The purposefully dramatized annoyance in her voice made me hold back another laugh.

Well... that explains why he was running non-stop for hours after finally letting himself out of that cage.

Although... Shit, how uncomfortable was he in there then?

She let out a sizeable sigh, "Being the only regular wolf that daily hangs out with those two is a full-time job in of itself, but it must be done. They're just lucky I love them."

"I'm sure they know it too. Plus you have me now."

For a bit at least.

I'll admit this place was fun.